Two layers of Ice and Water

I am putting ice & water over my entire roof (with adequate venting). My roofer used the wrong material before I realized it. I am now considering putting a second layer of I&W across what he installed. Can anybody see a problem with that? We are then installing architectural shingles

Reply to
Lisa

Probably not, but the first question is why are you putting an ice and water product across the entire roof? Normally it's put from the lower roof sections to two feet past where it meets the heated interior space of the house, in areas subject to ice damming. And on other select areas that need it, like valleys or low pitch roofs. IMO if it's a regular roof, putting it over the whole roof is a big waste and just extra $$.

Reply to
trader_4

What did he use ? If he put down felt paper instead of the sticky rubber membrane I would think its better to remove the felt ( tar ) paper as you would be sticking the rubber membrane to felt paper and not the roof deck. but we need more info . IMO

Reply to
Mark

Very good point. I forgot the "second layer" part and focused on why needing it on the whole roof. I agree, you don't want to put an ice and water, sticky, sealing product on top of tar paper or anything else.

Also seems bizarre there is even any choice. Is the roof just sitting there, the roofer stopped work and left? Having put the underlayment down, you'd think the roofer would have just proceeded or this would have been resolved immediately, so work could continue.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader_4, Lisa wrote: Because I live on the ocean in Oregon and I have a very expensive bleached wood ceiling. I would do anything to avoid a leak. It only cost me about $300 more than doing as you described. I'm afraid that given the very high wind profile having two layers of I&E would just create more problems than it is solving. I've about decided just to stick with what he put on already and leave it at that.

Reply to
Lisa