electric cars and frosty roads

I have set the default to a low level comparable to top gear engine braking in an ICE vehicle. Most of the time this suits me. I will tweak the setting as I drive as circumstances demand though.

Indeed, different levels of regen work best in different circumstances. It?s very easy to change ?on the fly? using paddle controls on my car.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They do, but that?s only invoked on my car when using the actual brake pedal. Just lifting off the throttle whilst on snow or ice with a high regen setting can induce slip, in exactly the same way that engine braking could.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No, he really doesn?t understand. Putting the ?brakes on? as you say when you lift off can at times be very useful around town. It?s not a fault. It?s not bad design. It?s *different* design.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That would seem to be an absurd design fault!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

well it shouldn't

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But don't need the vast weight of the batteries in a pure EV.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I've had this car 2 years. Never had the ABS activate yet. Last car which was similar, once.

ABS really is a last resort for that last 1% of panic braking. Not an everday tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Having automatic braking when you no longer want to proceed at a steady pace seems like something thought up by learner drivers. Or geeks who don't drive at all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

:-)

Or needs to visit an optician, or both.

Reply to
Andrew

Using regen mode means you can modulate the vehicle's speed with the accelerator. You can speed up, hold speed or slow gently ('braking' gives the wrong impression) depending on where you are holding the pedal. It's not a choice between go and stop and you don't always want to be in regen mode.

You're reading comments about EVs from an ICE driver's experience/point of view. They're different. To better understand, you should try a test drive once we are more easily able to do such things.

I can't think of any circumstance in which I'd want the act of lifting right off the accelerator pedal to be a signal for braking (apart from the very slight engine braking and air resistance). I want to chose when and by how much I apply the brakes. Whether those brakes are frictional or regenerative (or a combination) is immaterial.

Trains often have a single power/brake lever but they have an important difference: there is a "neutral" position in between minimum power and minimum braking, and then from there you push one way for power and the other way for braking. What I've never understood is why trains have discrete steps of power or braking, rather than continuously variable over a range. You would think that there would be some speeds which needed power that was somewhere between two notches, and so the driver would have to keep alternating the position, whereas in a car he'd choose a position in between. Likewise for braking.

Reply to
NY

I think it's time to give-up with this thread because of the people who are expressing attitudes which are not based on facts or experience and seem unable to accept that they might be wrong or that car designers might know a bit about how to design their products. I don't think it's deliberate trolling, just biased and inflexible thinking coupled with an inability to educate themselves from the huge amount of relevant info on the web.

Reply to
nothanks

Look it's just DIFFERENT. Not better not worse EXCEPT that people transitioning from an IC car will need to adjust to it which is why is should NOT be made the 'default setting'.

And since there is no difference in consumption from the regeneration no matter which pedal is used to select it, it's almost a pointless choice to give drivers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All other things being equal I would *like* to have a car that speeds up on the right pedal, slows down on the left and is in 'cruise control' when neither are pressed.

I accept I am probably in a minority of one

Look at how brakes are applied. They are air brakes mainly. Hard tro apply smoothly.

electric acceleration used to be done by selecting various discrete windings before transistors smoothed the way to progressive throttle

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think it boils down to two points of view,

  1. Innovation, no matter how pointless, is good
  2. Innovation for its own sake is pointless.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

When Ceefax was first developed, Wireless World's editorial said "Very nice

- now find a use for it".

Reply to
charles

And no one did.

It just wasn't good enough.

But now we have a super ceefax - the world wide web. And it IS good enough.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Still not convinced. One pedal I can see. But having the same one for go and partial stop doesn't appeal, since you'll still have the brake one. It would seem like driving an IC engined car around in a low gear so you always had engine braking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

This thread was started by an EV driver who lost control due to what others seem to think an excellent idea.

Take it up with him.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News