OT. Scooping Snow

Scooping snow has always seemed like hard work even when I was young and in shape. I didn't scoop at all last year. My broom took care of what little fell one time last year. North Platte, NE set a record for snowfall in one day. The record goes back to the 1894. The one day total was 13.9" and probably nothing compared to Buffalo, NY. No snowblowers in my immediate area. Fresh air and exercise is good for people.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Mammoth mountain has gotten 381" in the last two and a half months, the groomed base is just under 200".

They use a full sized Cat loader to clear the plaza here:

Scott Lurndal

I would have guessed more in that area. When I lived in CT most years we got at least one 12 to 18" snowfall creating a minor inconvenience. After a few years I bought a snow blower making it very easy. Town and state kept the roads drive-able. We average about double your annual amount.

Climate in North Platte, Nebraska - Sperling's Best Places

› climate › city › north_platte North Platte averages 29 inches of snow per year. The US average is 28 inches of snow per year. On average, there are 227 sunny days per year in North Platte.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It was more than two feet several years ago and an aching back that got me buying a snow thrower.

Reply to
Frank

I bookmarked your source. My brother lives in a town full of rich people by my standards. He has an email to read tomorrow.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

We had three feet a week aago and server more inches since.

My aching back asked me to ask you what snow thrower you purchased and if you are happy with it?

See , that's what I love about Rusty , my JD 317 yard tractor (built in 1982). He mows the yard (can't call it grass ...) in the summer then plows the snow in the winter . In between he hauls firewood out of the woods , moves dirt , and keeps my driveway smooth and weed free .

Reply to
Snag

Never heard of "Scooping snow".

I thought it might be some new LGBTQ sex term, but turns out it is used by rural Nebraskans who have been out of the loop for a hundred years.

Reply to
Leo Isenteze

Yeah, I've shoveled a lot of snow in my life but I ain't never scooped none.

Reply to
rbowman

It is a Troy-Bilt from Lowes and I am happy with it. Only problem I had in first couple of years was leaving stabilized gas in it off season and I had to have it serviced when it did not start. Now I just run it dry at end of season. This was years ago and the problem was ethanol in the gasoline and maybe they are built to account for widespread usage of this crap.

Reply to
Frank

This is a scoop shovel in my world. Scooping corn is a common phrase.

Dean Hoffman

The fully vac-scam-ated should buy a snowblower and probably avoid exercise. Even kids are dropping from that poisonous shot.

Reply to
Su Nombre

Consumer Reports' Ratings of 3 stage snowblowers: Troy-Bilt Vortex 2610. $1,500-1,850. Score 84 Cub Cadet 3X 30" HD. $2,000 Score 83 Cub Cadet 3X 26" TRAC. $2,100-2,300. Score 82 I can look up some of the 2 stage blowers if you want. They're rated higher for some reason.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I am penta-vaxed with no problem. So is my daughter in law and she is on her third bout of Covid.

Reply to
Frank

We had more snow than usual one year and my shovel broke about halfway through. There wasn't a snow shovel left in town but I found a grain scoop at the ranch supply. It sucked for shoveling snow but it got me through.

Reply to
rbowman

Fresh air and exercise can be good, but shoveling snow can be hazardous to your health.

Jim Joyce

The not a real vaccine vaccine tricks your RNA in to creating a protein that sticks to one of the spikes on the virus. Your body then aggressively attacks the protein and kills anything attached to it. For those unlucky individuals that the protein attaches to other things in your body, you are in real trouble. Fortunately, your body clears out the protein in about two months. This is why the fully not a real vaccine vaccinated get covid as bad as everyone else. And why all the blood clots, lungs bleeding out, etc..

And sometimes worse due to a mechanism called "Antibody dependent enhancement" which interferes with your body creating real antibodies against the virus targeted by the not a real vaccine vaccine.

And lately, "sudden unexplained deaths" are plaguing the not a real vaccine vaccinated, so you be really, really careful my (e)friend. I want you around for many, many more years.

And the back of your head when you fall on your ass!

My wife got me this for walking on the snow/ice. They work really well, but are slippery on dry pavement:

Did not show but expect to see those cleats that slip over shoes or boots. I have a few pair. Boots OK in snow but cleats needed for ice. Son needed shoulder surgery after falling on ice going to his mail box.

Reply to
Frank

amazon.com/EnergeticSky-Upgraded-Traction-Stainless-Mountian/dp/B078C7BY2J

Kahtoola MICROspikes were the first but they are $75. The knockoffs are around $20 and are just as good. I've got a pair of boots that I leave them on. The trails here are snow packed and icy and these really dig in. If you walk across solid ice you hear the crunching and if you look back you can see the chips taken out of the surface. They aren't great on dry surfaces.

amazon.com/Yaktrax-Snow-Trax-Large-Extra/dp/B07XNKW85C

I've got a similar Yaktrax style on an old pair of sneakers for walking around the yard and to get the mail. They work well and aren't as awkward on dry pavement. The spikes can come out. Yaktrax has changed the way they're molded in over the years so the latest generation might be better.

I used the Yaktrax with the coils for years and usually got one season before the neoprene webbing would break. They weren't as good as the SnowTrax on ice nor were they as good as the microspikes in the woods particularly if you go off-trail.

Reply to
rbowman