OT. Scooping Snow

I've got a gamma nail in my femur after falling on the ice last year. No fun but after my grandmother broke her hip in the '50s they might as well have shot her. I'm not sure about a lot of medical 'science' but the surgeons have a lot of new techniques and devices. They're basically mechanics and have a concrete problem to solve rather than dealing with drugs that may or may not work.

Reply to
rbowman

Son had to have ligament attached back to his shoulder.

I have seen the medical miracles getting cardiac stents 16 years ago and a new heart valve a couple of years ago via catheter with cow valve on a stent. Wife has had both knees replaced.

Reply to
Frank

The live attenuated vaccines have a long history and proven efficacy. Pointing to that history to sell an experimental technology that was released under an emergency authorization is disingenuous at best.

One event at the start of the 'pandemic' caused me to wonder. The Marion Correctional Facility in Ohio was severely overcrowded in the spring of

2020. Over 2000 of the inmates and staff tested positive. Obviously there was no social distancing, masks, or vaccines.

There was considerable uproar up the lines of 'all the prisoners are going to die!' Most of the inmates were asymptomatic, even the elderly ones. Follow up reporting was vague but as far as I can tell, less than 10 people died at the facility with no distinction between 'with' and 'from'.

Adams sees mistrust of the government as a large factor. That may have been the case for many but the government's mixed signals, obfuscations, and general incompetence certainly didn't engender trust.

Reply to
rbowman

You'd better look up how "messenger RNA immune therapy" works. It did not such thing.

What it did was to create a protein that sticks to one of the spikes on the virus. And yes it will give you some protection against the virus, until your body clears out the protein, which it vigorously attacks. Takes about two months. You develop zero actual immunity to the virus.

And to add to injury, your body has a very difficult time developing actual immunity because of a thing called "antibody dependent enhancement". It is a well, well know problem with messenger RNA gene therapy.

You are a sitting duck. Be very, very careful and get medical help instantly if you suspect something.

Thought the new variants were not suppose to be that lethal? They are not, except to those whose immune system is not prepared.

Which brings us to the reason why China is having so much problems with Covid. The idiotic lock downs did not prepare their immune systems to handle the onslaught.

But with China, everything is done for political reasons. You can't protest if you can't go out out of your house.

China is now right in the middle of what is being called the "Toilet Revolution". The only place NOT monitored by the Lefties is the insides public toilets, so the that is were the anti communist are spreading their word. All over the inside of the toilet walls.

Everyone would have been much better off if they had put their efforts into protecting those at risk and not the general population.

Well stated.

T wrote on 1/23/2023 4:24 AM:

Evolution will favour the mutations that are less lethal to the host but spread more easily. A virus that's too lethal to its host will self-terminate. That's exactly why the new COVID variants are less lethal.

Do you know the 1918 'Spanish Flu' pandemic lasted about two years, much like this COVID-19? I suspect the flu we have today is a remnant of the 'Spanish Flu' of 1918.

I think China has done the right thing. They have lockdowned for so long that the COVID variants are more like a very bad flu. And they are now making COVID pills with Pfizer.

Have you forgotten New York City had to bury their COVID victims in mass graves on Hart Island?

Do you know after India relaxed their lockdown too early, COVID victim bodies were floating down the Ganges?

invalid unparseable

The variants that are less lethal to the host will out compete the lethal ones. That's 'survival of the fittest'. Remember killing the host is counterproductive to the 'continuation of the species'.

That's why the 1918 flu pandemic faded away. Animals have been on this planet for 550 million years. No animals wouldn't have existed today if bacteria and viruses would tend to become more and more lethal to the host.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Even that is overstated, most obviously with ebola which kills others even when it has killed the infected, essentially because what is excreted from the body of the one that got killed is very capable of infecting those who deal with the body.

And even tho it is a very efficient killer, it hasnt died out.

Reply to
Rod Speed

This SARS-CoV-2 is different from the SARS virus 20 years ago. This one jumped species from bat to human. Incidentally it was quite lethal to humans but evolved to become less lethal for its own good, just like other flu types. Have you ever wondered where the 1918 'Spanish Flu' virus came from? It might also have been a cross-species transmission.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Rod Speed wrote on 1/23/2023 11:33 PM:

It isn't a successful spreader either. It failed to mutate to become less lethal. It would be more successful in spreading if it doesn't kill its host.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

But that approach isn't viable with covid, essentially because it mutates too fast. That's why we dont have one for the common cold.

All that proves is that it mostly only kills the elderly in large numbers.

And that may be because it was one of the less potent variants that infected that place.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Comorbidities is the term that became popular. The first wave in this state was in nursing homes. The statistics for nursing homes aren't great in the best of times. I spent some time in the rehab wing of a nursing home last January. The dining room was filled with the walking dead. Elderly is a fluid concept.

In the spring of 2020 nobody was keeping score of variants and the PCR tests were turning up false positives after 35 cycles, so who knows.

Reply to
rbowman

It is in fact much more complicated than that, most obviously with the Black Death which was a very successful spreader and which was very lethal. And that evolved into a much less lethal form, but which is a much less successful spreader now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

There is one thing I can say with certainty. Everyone in my family tree survived ice ages, black death, smallpox, war, famine and so forth at least until they were able to breed.

Reply to
rbowman

Rod Speed wrote on 1/24/2023 12:38 AM:

Because there were a lot of rats and fleas in those days to spread the disease.

Black Death is bacterial infection. Rat poison and antibiotics caused it to become much less successful spreader.

Antiviral COVID pill is about to hit the market now.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

rbowman snipped-for-privacy@montana.com wrote

That was just another bullshit line.

But that is because nursing homes are a petrie dish for covid.

Same with cruise ships.

Not with the covid stats.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It is now clear that it wasn't the rats that were the main vector.

Nope, it mutated to be FAR less lethal than it was then.

Its been available here for a while now.

But it isnt as effective as an antibiotic is with bacteria.

Reply to
Rod Speed