OT: another courier to avoid.

Ordered an aerial from Blake. Sent 24 hour. They use a company called DX - Delivered Exactly (TM) Got an email with tracking number which their website showed its progress ending up with out for delivery from their Heathrow depot at 0800 yesterday. And it didn't arrive.

Looking at the site today they've changed the scan saying arrived at Heathrow today, and it is now out for delivery.

So it would seem the initial tracking details were simply fantasy - rather than an input from a scanner.

And wouldn't it be nice if they gave a window for delivery rather than just a day?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well until it's actually in your hand, the "tracking" could be completely made-up.

(One of the plot devices in "The Taking of Pelham 123" (original, obviously) was based on a similar situation AIR)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Conversely, DPD, which Amazon use for some of their deliveries, is very good: tracking info that agrees with what actually happens, and email or text message on the morning of the scheduled delivery date giving a 1-hour slot for the delivery. I think we only once had a driver miss his anticipated slot, and that was due to a big accident on the main road which meant he had to try to find an alternative route that was not already clogged. And we got a message at around the expected time to explain that he would be late and why.

If only Amazon used DPD for *all* deliveries - they are one of the few good couriers. My heart always sinks when the courier is Hermes because they deliver at any old time (sometimes late at night) and not always on the expected day.

Reply to
NY

A friend ordered an iphone XR it was due to arrive in worthing (where he li ves) on this monday but he was at mine so he resheduled delivery for tues day. On Tuesday he was sent details and could track the driver on google ma ps almost up until he rang the door bell.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The company started life as the private courier exchanging documents between solicitors.

I've only had one delivery via DX, collected Powys 5pm, delivered Leicester 10am next day, can't complain.

Many of the delivery tracking services seem capable of "revisionist" updates that alter the history.

Reply to
Andy Burns

IME they've improved recently, email on the day of delivery giving a 3 or 4 hour slot, had two deliveries in last week or so, actual time was in middle of both slots.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Possibly using the same principle washing machine timers do ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think it was Hermes that I used to ship two rather large cardboard boxes to quite different destinations. Both had their status shown as "Delivered - package posted in letterbox".

I'd have liked to see that. I complained, and eventually they apologised, claiming there was an issue with the driver's terminal. Odd that it affected two different locations.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I've had Hermes deliveries before 6 in the morning, and it's not uncommon for their tracking to claim 'out for delivery' a week or more before the item actually arrives.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I had one with 'left in mailroom'. It's a private house. No mailroom. Package was left on the front step.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I had something "delivered" by DX on Monday. Supposedly "Secure Delivery". Doorbell rang, I went to the front door to find parcel on mat and van driving away. I received an email asking fore my comments, but Firefox wouldn't let me have access to an "insecure site".

Say's it all.

Reply to
Charles Hope

Sounds to me like the driver ran out of time, couldn't find your address or couldn't be arsed so returned the package to the depot.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Another excuse is "wasn't enough room on the van"

Reply to
Bob Eager

And Microsoft progress bars.

Our dishwasher revises times (and so does the tumble dryer). But they start out with a worst case time and revise on how clean the water gets (or how dry the clothes are).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I registered with Royal Mail (I think to buy postage) and they seem to have tied that up with my address. I get emails for quite a gew packages now, telling me that one will be delivered that day.

Also worth registering with UPS, as you'll get warning the evening before. Useful for CPC deliveries.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Our (Hotpoint) washing machine can jump from 00:01 to 00:09. I've seen it.

It's such a universal experience, Rhod Gilbert managed to weave it into an entire show :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Thought it was scanned at collection, and each depot on the way if it changes vehicles, etc?

I only really use Hermes (to send things) these days as their collection point is handy. And their tracking information shows the exact time I handed it in - as they scan it then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But then they are usually the lowest cost one. Never tried their 24 hour.

But even then they send an email giving the window when it will be delivered - usually 4 hours.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I could understand that. But why alter the tracking information to say different?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not DHL by any chance ?

I had a large item delivered the other week. The day was specified along with a tracking number and a delivery window.

As it happens the delivery was 2 hours outside the window but that was understandable under the circs.

My delivery was no 68.

When first "checking in" on the DHL site with the tracking number and postcode and then checking the Google map he was delivering no 1 just two streets away. (Thinks" presumably he must deliver an awful lot around this way" Not quite *) The Google map showed each delivery as he made them

Unfortunately the DHL page doesn't update itself automatically. In order to refresh the information its necessary to re-enter the tracking number every time. Although it remebers the postcode

Which isn't the end of the world of course. Except that every time the tracking no was entered it was then necessary to do a captcha test. A series of tile arrays of low res images are shown and its necessary to select those showing cars, traffic lights, shop-fronts, busses etc etc.If you get it wrong you get another lot. Just to track a parcel.

The driver showed up 4 hours later. Basically he delivered two postcodes that day. So maybe around 120 deliveries many to residential addresses.

michael adams

.
  • Basically he'd done a circuit of my postcode starting rwo streets away at 7 o'clock worked his way around clockwise and my address at 6 o'clock will have been on his way back to his base near Kingston.
Reply to
michael adams