B&Q w***ers.

Ordered a basin from B&Q. According to their website in stock in several
stores, including my nearest one. Went to look at it, and it was on
display - but was told they didn't have it but would be delivered next
day. (which could be up to three days) So went online and ordered and paid
for it. Next day got an email saying to book a slot for it to be
delivered. First one about two weeks later - today. Which I booked. Had a
confirmation email saying it would be delivered today. And they wouldphone
call about an hour before they delivered.
Nothing at all today. They did provide a tracking number, but that
required you to register at their carrier's website. No thanks.
No wonder they're having to close many of their stores.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News
In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>,
To finish this saga. B&Q blamed their supplier for not sending the basin. Oddly, I bought it from B&Q, not a 'supplier'. Perhaps they think they are Amazon?
So cancelled it.
After a great deal of looking at local places so I could collect, gave up and found what I wanted on Ebay. Slightly larger (that's OK) but a lot more expensive. Ordered it up.
Arrived quickly. Very nice - just what I wanted in my mind. But had a chip on the back. That wouldn't have mattered as it will be hard to the wall, but extended into a crack on the top which did show - if you looked carefully.
Contacted the seller with pics. They were very sorry and first offered a partial refund. After I refused that, said send it back and they'd replace it. Since I was waiting for it already, I ordered and paid for a second one, which arrived in record time. And was fine.
They then said they'd arrange for the damaged one to be picked up today.
Then got a message saying their carrier wouldn't pick it up due to the weight. And they'd do me a full refund and could I just dispose of it.
I'm not really surprised a carrier wouldn't pick it up due to the size of the box and the weight. Should really have been on a pallet.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News
I ordered a loo on ebay, ParcelForce delivered it. Smashed to smithereens.
A replacement was sent, ParcelForce lady was having none of me checking it and ####ed off. Smashed to smithereens.
I got in touch with the seller again, they'd send another. I'd put 2 and 2 together at this point, advised them to pack it better as I was guessing that despite turning up at my door with the box on a trolley, the ParcelForce lass who is about 5 stone wet through was prior simply shoving it off the back of the van onto the road!
On the day of the third delivery I did a fair bit of curtain twitching and caught her just in time, "WOULD YOU LIKE A HAND WITH THAT?".
Reply to
R D S
In article <rpj756$2m2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me,
A lot of these things really need two people. As any packing can make it too big for one to handle, even if the weight ain't too bad.
I did have two heavy things delivered on pallets, though. They survived OK.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News
Apart from te hassle, sounds like a win win. Pop the dmaged one on eBay or maybe a local social media buy/sell page, collection only?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
In article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>,
Be a bit cheeky putting it on Ebay. ;-) But yes, Freecycle etc is a good idea.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News
I'm surprised they employ women to do any serious lifting, HSE have clear guidance that if you want to lift anything heavy to choose a man:
16kg vs 25kg
It does make me wonder about equality and diversity if you have a job requirement/spec that requires a lift of 25kg?
Reply to
Fredxx
Wickes kitchen designer said I needed 4 worktops but I only needed 3. Contacted the designer who said he'd refund and arrange uplift by my fitter. He then phoned the fitter who was at my house. With me listening he told the fitter to dispose of it. I got my refund, stuck it on Gumtree and got another £50 for it. Strange they cant send a van for it and return it to their stock.
Reply to
sintv
Since Parcelforce (and at least some other couriers) have a weight limit of 30kg and never send two people out the distinction between men and women seems to be moot. How they get away with a daily flouting H&S I don't know - something hand-wavy about lifting equipment I expect.
Reply to
Roger Hayter
It wasn't that long ago 50kg/cwt sacks of cement, sand and plaster were the norm.
However did we manage?
Reply to
Fredxx
Well the thread is about B&Q which once had self service tills in their stores. Often the instruction was to place the 25kg bag of sand/cement/ballast on the scales which were not designed for the safe lifting of such items afterwards.
Reply to
alan_m
Beer (to pubs) still comes in containers that when full exceed 25kg. Firkin = 41Litres (approx 0.8 cwt plus the weight of the cask usually aluminium but bloody heavy if stainless steel) Kilderkin = approx 1.6cwt plus the weight of the cask
Also historically wooden Barrels (approx 3cwt liquid) and Hogheads (approx 4.8cwt liquid)- how did we manage?
Reply to
alan_m
For many, many years the accepted limit was 1cwt = 112lb ~ 50kg. That's what coal came in and I seem to remember seeing a notice about lifting limits at work when I was an apprentice (1960s) which had similar limits.
It's only in the past few years that our coal man has changed from 50kg bags carried on his back to 25kg bags piled into a wheelbarrow.
... but are people taught how to lift things properly nowadays? It should be one of the things one learns at school or early in an apprenticeship but I doubt if anything so "non academic" even crosses educators minds.
Reply to
Chris Green
istr the original bags of corn used by the barges weighed 2cwt (224 lbs or 101 kg) each and were all manhandled. No forklifts in those days
Reply to
fred
In my hay day I could stand a 45gallon barrel of paint up on its end and maneuver it around balanced on its rim. The trick on standing it up was to get one's whole body across it and heave it away from you
Reply to
fred
In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, fred snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes
*Railway* sacks full of Wheat weighed 21/4 cwt. We had a *sack lifter* which got them up to shoulder height.
Reply to
Tim Lamb
Some managed very well. A significant proportion of us were disabled by back problems, though, and spent the rest of their lives in poverty.
Reply to
Roger Hayter

Site Timeline Threads