Centre Leaf for Table

My daughter has a dining table that extends but there was no centre leaf.

I have bought a piece of MDF (the table is chalk painted) that is the correct size. I have glued on some packing pieces under it to make the tops level

I now have a dillema. There are some rounded 6mm dowels that locate the two leaves of the table.

I could drill the MDF and fit some dowels - but I don't really trust my drilling accuracy and I have not yet found some matching metal dowels and sockets.

I could just drill oversized clearance holes in the edge of the new leaf and find an alternative way of locating the new centre leaf.

Any suggestions? It will need something to stop it tipping.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Will she need to remove the central leaf frequently?

Is the MDF thick enough and strong enough for dowels to work?

Reply to
GB

GB wrote in news:prch9r$14r$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The MDF is 18mm The rest of the table is 25mm.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I think a Xmas only!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Just wondering about a small Barrel Bolt at each corner.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Fit some threaded inserts, then screw some rod into them, either tap one end of some straight rod, or grind one end of some threaded rod smooth?

Reply to
Andy Burns

When we inherited a table from the in laws, it was a similar situation. They'd "lost" the centre leaf.

Wasn't an issue for years, until we had a massive Xmas dinner, and the extra 4 spaces would have been invaluable.

Like you I knocked a piece of MDF into the right size. However the table still had clues as to how the original piece was secured. With barrel bolts. I was able to fit some and it did the job perfectly.

It's amazing what a thick tablecloth can hide :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Jethro_uk wrote in news:prcm89$ik5$21@dont- email.me:

I tend to prefer this approach to using dowels as the MDF could break. Did you put the bolts on the centre leaf?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

a simpler method might be to screw 4 rotatable short sticks on the underside eg 6" long. Fit top then rotate them so they go under the outer leaves.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Fix two battens underneath the existing table top pieces (across the gap) and fix or sit the new insert on them.

Reply to
nothanks

Drill oversize holes. Fit dowels to the leaves (or are they already?). Wrap dowels in PTFE tape. Fill oversize holes with car body filler Put all together and leave till partially set Pull apart and trim off any excess filler. leave to set, sand flush. Paint to match.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AIR yes - there were sockets on the table.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

FMurtz

Some strong neodymium disc magnets located on the leaf and and inset if necessary into the packing pieces and the support. You can obtain them with a counter sunk hole to accept a screw.

GH

Reply to
Marland

In message , DerbyBorn writes

I'm assuming from the description that there are two dowels on one leaf, and two sockets on the other, exposed when pulled apart to insert the centre leaf.

I would put the new centre leaf in position, hold carefully in position then press the extended leaf (with dowels) against the centre leaf, which should be sufficient to mark drilling positions on the centre leaf.

Rotate the centre leaf 180 degrees, and repeat. Where you have two sockets together, wooden dowels that will roughly fit should be sufficient to stop the centre leaf tipping particularly as the other side will be held by the proper metal dowels.

Reply to
Graeme