New ASDA PAYG rates in September

Calls Phone calls to any UK mobile and landline number: 15p per minute Current pricing: 4p per minute

Texts UK text messages up to 160 characters: 10p per text Current pricing: 4p per text

Data Mobile data usage throughout the UK and Europe: 10p per MB Current pricing: 4p per MB

Hmmm. That's quite a big increase, I thought inflation was only about 11% ?.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Lack of competition: the major networks have decided PAYG doesn't make them enough money and want you to buy 'bundles' of £5-10/month. Three's 321 has gone up from 3p/min to 35p/min.

Try 1pmobile? 1p per min/SMS/MB, use the EE network. The only catch is you have to topup at least every 4 months (can do auto-topups), so that works out as £2.50/month, but you keep the credit. So you can use it for calls/texts/data or could donate it all to charity via SMS if you wanted.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Makes a lot more sense to go for a fixed amount per month with unlimited calls and texts to any mobile or landline in the country and some data. Plenty for £5 pm

Reply to
Kron

It's very much in the interest of the Bank of England, the Treasury and the government to understate the inflation rate for several very good reasons. Anyway, have you checked out Tesco? I'm told they're very good for mobile calls and data.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I have an old-fashioned 2G Tesco PAYG mobile - 8p/min voice and 4p for a 160-char text. However they don't sell such a thing now. ASDA was similar but sadly not any more after 26 September.

Reply to
Dave W

Most of my messages are sent from home, so the phone auto connects to the hub for free messages when in range.

Reply to
jon

I have a Plusnet account for £6 per month with 5GB data.

Reply to
jon

and it is now on a crap provider since they left o2

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

not if you don't use yout phone much

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Except for longer-term customers who are light users, in which case they impose a minimum monthly spend, so you don't keep the credit.

Reply to
Andy Burns

PN mobile doesn’t do short-code SMS, it can be a nuisance in some circumstances.

Reply to
Spike

You can use the top-up credit to buy a ‘boost’ for data, minutes, texts, or a mixture of both.

Reply to
Spike

I notice BT say that next year their prices for all things rise by the retail price index plus 3.9 percent. I assume they think that they all are immune to people just saying get stuffed and walking way from any connectivity, just when the gov are trying to make everything on line. It just shows how clueless the more well off actually are. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Exactly as stated in all their TV adverts.

Reply to
alan_m

Only fools like you are actually that stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I moved from GiffGaff to O2, when GG similarly increased rates without bothering to mention it.

o2 calls are 3p/min. Texts 2p. Data 1p per 1MB.

£10 top up lasts me for months.

Reply to
GB

And no longer available except to customers already on that tariff.

Reply to
alan_m

ASDA in general (not only mobile but the whole group) was already mediocre when owned by the Yanks, now it's completely shit.

Reply to
The Legal Occupier

Ah, sorry. I wonder how long it will be before they raise the rates, then?

Reply to
GB

Everyone seems to be using the "RPI/CPI plus 3.9%" thing nowadays. Is it the maximum allowed by some sort of "regulator"? What can be the commercial justification for it? Costs might be going up, but it could be more or less than that. Don't we live in a free market?

CMWTK.

Reply to
Max Demian