Asda microwave

Jac <caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85 snipped-for-privacy@example.com Wrote in message:

Have you tried unplugging it for a few seconds? Microwaves generally forget everything when power cycled.

Reply to
Graham.

What is this red sign and how do I get it off as the microwave is not heating now

Jac

It's a clock symbol, so you must have accidently set the timer. You need to clear the timer setting to return to instant operation.

Reply to
The Other John

Its a great shame nobody has unplugged Home Owners club Usenet interface, and cut the plug off.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

There's a Clock button. Try pressing that, and if that doesn't do anything, press and hold it until the symbol goes off.

(I'm glad I have a simple microwave with just two knobs: one for power (which is always on maximum) and one for time. I don't know whether there's much point in the complicated ones, though it might be useful to have a programmable standing period, or even heat-stand-heat: though usually I like to stir it before the second heat.)

Reply to
Max Demian

All such items are sold with an instruction manual. Most can be found on the internet as well.

Reply to
John

I had one of those, but it's not foolproof.

At one point the timer knob started winding up under its own power, instead of running down.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The only nuke I encountered that had such a wacko UI that I couldn't even use it without the destructions was an Asda. I avoid them. Daewoo has not been a good UI experience either, but at least usable after some experimenting.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mine is a Daewoo two knob job. Cost £39.99 3.5 years ago - still going strong.

Reply to
Max Demian

Mine is a sanyo three knob opne - has a grill. 20 years old. Still running fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

in what way does:

"did you turn it on and off again", not work here?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Yup

All I ever use mine for is heating up pre-cooked stuff and making "baked" potatoes

Any other "cooking" returns unsatisfactory results IMHO

KISS

tim

Reply to
tim...

you're missing out. Despite the poor rep they currently have (among people more influenced by fashion than anything of substance) they cook some things much better than other methods, eg caraway carrots.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Blimey. Poppadums. 1 minute full power, Perfect.

Rice. Simmer for 12 minutres at 2:1 eater to rice ratio by volume. Perfect

Baked potato. 3 minutes in microwave then 10 minutes in AGA oven. Perfect.

Ditto sausages.

Scrambled eggs. About 5 mins full power pause to stir half way. Bacon. Full power 3 minutes

Almost any veg: teaspoon of water, cover with cling film 10 minutes full power.

Boiled eggs: use microwave egg boiler. Full power 5.7 minutes

Pork scratchings - remove half baked pork rind and nuke for 5 minutes full power. better than any oven.

Steamed puddings. 5 minutes full power.

In short anything steamed or with water in it that you dont want a brown outside in is perfect, and if you do want a brown outside bung it in a very hot oven afterwards for a bit.

I've even use it to emergency cook oven roasts that have not quite done in the oven

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't even know what caraway carrots are

but back to the substantial point

I find that I don't like the way that they differently cook, all of those things that people claim that they cook better (potatoes excepted)

for me you can replace better with "worse"

tim

Reply to
tim...

never eat them

see my other comment about getting the saltiness correct

I grill mine

Just as easy to cook on the hob

absolutely not - comes out rubbery

see comment about saltiness

or 4 minutes on the hob - what the point?

OMG

you make, as a separate item, pork scratching?

(FWIW I don't really like them - crunchy skin on the outside of the roast OK, but rock hard scratchings - not!)

Why would I even be starting with a steamed pudding that didn't fall into the category of "pre cooked food"?

and that doesn't need to have salt added during cooking

which IME for veggies is virtually nothing at all

but I can achieve the same effect by cooking under the grill for the same length of time (and don't waste time/money heating up a whole oven first)

I know that you can do this

IME the end result is so crap it is fit for nowhere other than the dustbin

tim

Reply to
tim...

Scrambled egg is also good in a microwave as an alternative to using a saucepan on the hob. Beat the egg in a Pyrex basin; add milk and salt to taste; stick in the microwave set to about two minutes; take out every

15 seconds or so and stir with a wooden spoon until the desired consistency.

Frozen peas are also quite good in a microwave container with a clip on lid cooked according to the packet instructions if you don't want to use a steamer.

Reply to
Max Demian

Maybe it's like a Camberwell carrot.

Reply to