Kg v pound

Of course it failed.

If it hadn't, they'd still be using it.

Reply to
JNugent

No one else was using it, and it didn't stick after they were kicked out.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Some misunderstanding here...

I wasn't recommending a metric calendar. Just pointing out that one once existed and was enforced by a fairly ruthless regime.

Reply to
JNugent

The bus operator is paid by the local council for every pensioner passenger they carry. In our case it is the average adult fare.

Reply to
bert

It's an indirect way of subsiding public transport otherwise many services would collapse.

Reply to
bert

OK, fairy nuff. I was merely saying that there's nothing magic about the metric system except that it's what almost everyone uses. Likewise our existing calendar system. Thus, there's no point in changing the latter. That it's not "decimal" is interesting but irrelevant.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They don't know how far you go as you just tap the card on entry. What is the "average adult fare" anyway?

You used not to do that; you just showed the driver the card. I don't recall that he registered how many people with bus passes used his bus; if he did, it would be easy to cheat.

Reply to
Max Demian

I always get asked for my destination before I get my ticket.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You mean every 29.5 days?

State pensions are paid at 4 weekly intervals. Presumably it used to be fortnightly or weekly.

Reply to
Max Demian

No, 4-weekly. A lunar month is 29.5 days (roughly).

Reply to
Max Demian

Where is that? I don't get a ticket. Just tap my bus pass and the machine says it's OK.

Reply to
Max Demian

Many councils provide machine readable cards for this purpose. Mine does not.

Reply to
charles

Weekly (as with most benefits).

For weekly payments, an order book is required (cashed at the Post Office, if they still do that).

Same for Child Benefit, though ISTR that the alternative for that was calendar monthly into the bank.

Reply to
JNugent

So that ISP bills its customers every 29.5 days (roughly)?

Really?

Reply to
JNugent

Scotland, Strathclyde region.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The £ is simply a way of indicating tat its currency rather than a lb of silver.

British currency had already abandoned the groat, the crown, the guinea and the half crown - to name but a few - in favour of the pound the shilling - which is a dutch/german term, meaning 'a sliver of' - so a shilling was a 20th of a pound of silver, and the penny, another old english and or Germanic word which meant 'small coin'

It is represented by the symbol d, for the Roman 'denarius'.

Hence £sd.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The £ is simply a way of indicating tat its currency rather than a lb of silver.

British currency had already abandoned the groat, the crown, the guinea and the half crown - to name but a few - in favour of the pound the shilling - which is a dutch/german term, meaning 'a sliver of' - so a shilling was a 20th of a pound of silver, and the penny, another old english and or Germanic word which meant 'small coin'

It is represented by the symbol d, for the Roman 'denarius'.

Hence £sd.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The rules of the road apply.

It would no doubt obey existing traffic signals and legal priorities

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and the units is confusing too.

everyone knows pounds is in £ not L and pence is in p not d....

Reply to
SH

As do I.

Reply to