Kg v pound

I remember a while back somebody ran an April fool's joke that the government was thinking of introducing metric weeks - with ten days in them.

The unions went ape.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

My ISP allows you to be billeed in lunar months.

Reply to
Bob Eager

We used to have trolley buses,but someone decided otherwise.

Reply to
jon

Not sure on that one, thought I was using Ergs, BTHUs, Dynes etc.

Reply to
jon

On 03 Jul 2022, JNugent wrote

Putting aside the comparative costs of running a car vs using your bus pass, may your health remain good enough not to lose your driving licence on health grounds.

I know many people whose conditions are sufficiently limiting to restrict their entitlemenet to drive, but aren't sufficiently impairing to qualify for a disability concession.

Reply to
HVS

If they paid sufficient so the pot was big enough to pay their future pensions I might agree. Instead your generation left the finances in the red, that is without any pot for your pension payments.

It's made trebly worse:

1) Current working tax payers are paying your pension 2) Current working tax payers don't get free bus travel 3) Current working tax payers will have to work longer to get their pension

If only you had put enough into the system before you took your pension.

Reply to
Fredxx

Then build more roads. Increase the number of parking spaces. The only ones who want to make it difficult for those who work, are the ones who don't.

Reply to
Fredxx

Anyway the point is not about a metric system. It's about everybody using the same system. Which in the case of seconds/minutes/hours/days/weeks/months, we do.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Probably depended on which board. Mine was O&C.

Reply to
charles

True!

We have trolls but I haven't yet spotted the undead.

Reply to
Bev

one data point is

which uses CGS (and looks scarily difficult after so very many years of disuse).

Reply to
Robin

That is not how the State Pension works, it is designed so that current tax payers fund current pensioners.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I was paid every 28 days, in a couple of engineering companies, for over 30 years.

It used to be the case that, every so often, they had to align pay days with tax years. Good news: this pay packet is for 5 weeks. Bad news: it is 5 weeks before you get paid again. Suddenly there was not enough extra to meet the big calendar monthly bill. :-(

Fortunately this rule went away.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

They can't maintain the current roads to a decent standard and you want them to build more?

Reply to
Richard

I'd not heard of that problem - and am surprised it was done as the tax system copes fine with 4-week pay periods. The only twist is that in some years there are 14 pay periods. Deductions for the 14th one are done on a non-cumulative basis which means deductions can be different from usual, and the employee may end up owing tax (which would usually be recovered by adjusting the PAYE in a future year). A bit complicated but nowhere near as messy as no pay for 5 weeks.

Reply to
Robin

UK Retirement Pension (if not paid weekly) is paid lunar monthly.

Reply to
JNugent