Kg v pound

Carl Sagan predicted all this. just "sed -s/dragon/Brexit Benefits/"

"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose (I'm following a group therapy approach by the psychologist Richard Franklin[4]) I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle--but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely. "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick."

And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so.

How do I do this? The process is comparable to the God of the gaps argument. In this argument, gods are claimed to be responsible for the creation or day-to- day running of aspects of the universe. As scientific knowledge expands, the gods are not found where theists expect them to be. For example, none of our observations of the sun have revealed the presence of Apollo and his chariot.[note 1] Because of this, believers in Apollo's purported role would either have to abandon the belief that he tows the sun around, or redefine parameters of the belief. For example, one could claim that Apollo is invisible to our eyes and instruments.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'm always puzzled when people can't seem to get their heads round metric weights and measures - I'm 60 and when I was at school we were taught metric stuff and on Blue Peter they talked in metres and kilos.

I went to a supplier of plastic architraves etc the other day and asked for a plastic "plank" 20cm wide and he seemed puzzled and said "you mean 20mm?" no I said, 20cm. He didn't seem to realise that 20cm is 200mm. It doesn't seem hard to me. What seems hard to me is 16 ounces in a pound and 14 pounds in a stone etc!!!

Reply to
Murmansk

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Murmansk snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Sadly the education authorities decided the MKS system did not have a suitable unit for schoolchildren and opted for the cm:-(

My wife, a long retired teacher, still has no concept of millimetres.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes I know that was the original Latin, but Livre is actually French for pound and probably came in with the Normans and schilling (German?) and can be used interchangeably.

Reply to
SteveW

Then just go in and order 400 grams of something and see if hey can convert it.

Reply to
alan_m

One thing you can guarantee. The cost by weight will have gone up. Exactly as it did when we changed from lb to kilo.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Fredxx formulated the question :

I think you will find that many pensioners have earned their pension and free bus travel during their hard working lives. Time to get something back for what they have put into the system.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Not their business.

Local Weights and Measures Authorities are responsible for checking the accuracy of weighing machines, pre-packed goods etc.

It's Trading Standards who [in GB] deal with breaches of the requirements on display of weights etc.

Reply to
Robin

Rob H has brought this to us :

Correct, but my area is only well served by the Arriva routes, they also go to the most useful destinations for me.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

remember buying 2 ounces of sweets ?

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Are you sure? I was taught the CGS system for O level. But for A levels we switched to MKS. I thought that was part of a general switch by examination boards in or about 1968.

Reply to
Robin

Why do local councils subsidise OAP bus passengers anyway? If they want to subsidise OAP travel they should give every old person a voucher to spend on bus fares, cab fares, or petrol, as they choose.The present system discriminates against those who can't uses busses either because there aren't any (like here) or because the person is too disabled to use a bus.

The truth is that it's just another part of the nudge thing where the powers-that-be want to get all us plebs on public transport while they carry on using cars.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

So give all OAPs vouchers to spend on bus fares or petrol as they chose.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

They would say, "f*ck off."

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Ten quid.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Ignorant interjection.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It wasn't the overarching EEC, it was a simple trading group called the Common Market.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

"Over or under!"

Reply to
Max Demian

It may have been widely known as the Common Market in the UK, but, from its formation in 1957 until the creation of the European Union in 1993, its correct name was the European Economic Community.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Sagan had no opinion on Brexit.

Reply to