Kg v pound

Andrew

On the contrary - he saw exactly the culture of anti-science that would foster it. Also the entire moronic anti-vax (or whatever) movements.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We have electric buses ;-)

Reply to
charles

hahah. It is tre EU with its massively profitable 'renewable obligation; that turned any genuine concern for scientific solutions to replacing fossil fuels to the massively anti-science but hugely profitable confidence trick that is 'renewable energy'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Yanks already tried that. See:

Tim Streater

pensioners pay like anyone else, the fare is payed by the local authority or council, the money comes from yours and mine taxes etc.

Reply to
critcher

We had those when I was a (small) child, though they ran off electricity provided by overhead wires. They were trolleybuses, not trams, they did not use tracks.

Reply to
Joe

But they are large and heavy and passengers are not all wanting to travel the same route.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Exactly. Reliable and safe autonomous vehicles are still years away, though the media keep claiming 'any day now', and have done so for at least five years. On-street parking in most residential roads will need to be forbidden.

Reply to
Joe

And they were a good concept, much better than trams. Dunno why they got rid of them.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh, I am fairly sure that a computer can already drive better than 90% of the drivers on the roads.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

same reasons they got rid of trains. Expensive infrastructure that didn't go everywhere.

Where people live and where people want to go is not well mapped onto fixed routes of mass transport. Even air travel is pretty shit except on long haul

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Neighbour (head of inner London primary) says the curriculum calls for them to learn mm, cm, m and km, and to be able to cope with conversion to/from inches and miles. But you're right that they focus on cm for things like estimating a volume (unless big enough to use m). I can relate to that, finding it much easier to think in terms of 250ml or

750ml than the equivalent in mm^3.

And mention of 750ml makes me realise it's time...

Reply to
Robin

The other side of the coin - the buses need to run anyway, so why not put bums on seats, maybe take some cars off the road? Buses would be much emptier and more cars on the road, were it not for the OAP's using them during the day.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

williamwright expressed precisely :

Then you end up with more cars driven on the road or parked in busy centres blocking roads - such as mine, during this strike. I am back now to walking a bit and using buses, now they are running.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

In Geneva the progressively got rid of trams while I lived there, but kept the trollies. After I left, they suddenly started putting the trams back in. My mate there tried to find out why they were bringing trams back, all the authorities would say is "We've done a study". I don't know whether the study was made public or not. Probably not, given that as councillors there are elected on the list system, they can ignore the electorate altogether.

Infrastructure for trollies won't be that high compared to trams and trains. And trollies can, at a pinch overtake each other.

Reply to
Tim Streater

AIUI, the only official metric measurement units are the millimetre and the metre.

Centimetres are not used in trade.

Reply to
JNugent

We don't all use them (even with a bus pass), no matter what time of day.

I can't remember the last time I was on a bus (it was certainly pre-pandemic). The last time I was on ordinary public transport was an off-peak train on Friday 13th March 2020.

Reply to
JNugent

Where *do* these old people, with their demands for more health care as they get even older, come from?

It sometimes seems as though there's an inexhaustible supply.

In fact, if we didn't know better, we might suspect that young people somehow get older and eventually become 'old people' - if they're lucky.

Reply to
JNugent

on 03/07/2022, Jim Stewart ... supposed :

I do.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq