Kg v pound

Today, the buses are back on the road, so rather than using the car or walking, I was able to take a trip to a local market where I spotted several traders had boycotted kilogram pricing for pound weight charging.

One butcher's labels looked as if they were originals from when we last used pound weights. You just get used to kilogrammes, then we go back to pounds :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

But it's not the future.

Certainly not bus usage in South Yorkshire

ARW

I suppose the trick would be to pay them in some form of old currency. I have an old £10 paper note in the drawer. I wonder what they would say :-)

Reply to
Pancho

Are they still playing the old trick of having nice class 1 fruit on display but when you ask for a pound of coxes or whatever, they reach underneath for the box of class 2 manky crap.

Reply to
Andrew

It's not legal tender.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yeah, not legal tender for not legal goods. That was the point.

Reply to
Pancho

Class 1 doesn't signify quality - just it's had the taste removed from the fruit!

Reply to
alan_m

I'm 68 and I was taught metres/kg/litres etc. at school and have used these units during my working life. Nothing to do with the EU and no reason to change just because of Brexit.

I assume the prices were in pounds shillings and pence

Reply to
alan_m

I bet the prices weren't from when we used lbs :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

It doesn't help when buses take non-paying passengers like pensioners.

Reply to
Fredxx

The term legal tender doesn't refer to what you can use to buy things, only what can be used to settle a legal debt. However shops only accept what they want to and I don't think any would be likely to accept such old notes - although they can still be redeemed for their face value in modern notes, so they still retain their value ... it is just an extra bit of hassle to exchange them.

Reply to
SteveW

I was taught entirely in metric, but as imperial was (and still is for many things, although disguised as metric) in use, I learned to use many imperial units. I still use both today, applying whichever is most suitable - for instance a door is 2'6" x 6'6" rather than 762mm x 1982mm and the fittings for my compressor are 1/4" BSP and 3/8" BSP.

Although they were in use when I was a child, I was too young to be spending more that a few pence on some sweets and so never had to deal with L-s-d.

Reply to
SteveW

L-S-D? As in Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD),[a] also known colloquially as acid, is a psychedelic drug according to

SH

It has never been illegal to display imperial weight. However, it must be shown alongside the metric weight and not be more prominent than it.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

L-s-d is also Livre-shilling-denarius ISTR, meaning pounds-shillings-pence.

Reply to
SteveW

Wow! Three languages in one sentence. Respect! :-) (librae, solidi, denarii)

Reply to
Custos Custodum

SteveW wrote on 03/07/2022 :

The Livre was equiavalent to one pound weight of silver, hence the pound.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Colin Bignell explained :

There was not one single metric weight equivalent to be seen anywhere.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I'm ten years younger and we were taught some imperial units at primary school, but I remember a big push with loads of the orange "going metric" leaflets being handed out

Andy Burns

Not much of a point, how are the goods not legal?

Reply to
Richard