Seat belts on school buses?

With all this talk about gov't. job is to keep us safe (mask mandate, auto crash standards, vaping prohibitions, for instance), I've always wondered why seat belts aren't required on school buses.

Could it be that there's nothing in it for elected officials? Too much lobbying money against it?

Reply to
MikeJ

Years ago we made a part for the bus seats. They are designed for impact and the seat backs are higher than your car.

There is also the possibility of kids turning the belts into weapons.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The first problem is getting the kids to wear the seat belts. It's hard enough to keep them from destroying the bus.

The real problem is what do you do in a bad wreck, say a rollover with thirty or forty panicked kids hanging from their belts?

Reply to
rbowman

But planes have a lot more pax.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Would you want to be the person to tell a bunch of kids to fasten their seat belt? If you think they would, you must be old. They have enough trouble keeping them from smoking dope and having sex on the bus.

Reply to
gfretwell

Buses don't travel 500 mph and have air pockets that suddenly drop them

2000 feet. Nor do buses land at school at 130 mph in the driveway
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My neighbor drives a bus, an A320 I think.

Pinocchio Psaki

Apples and oranges. Afaik city buses do not have seat belts.

Some states, like New York, require school buses to have seat belts; they do not require the students to use them. Given the safety record of school buses it's a hard sell.

The second reason is probably why there isn't more pressure to adopt them. I've driven a school bus. It's hard enough to keep the kids from carving on the seats, shining laser pointers in your mirrors, throwing things, and fighting with each other less alone making sure they are buckled in.

The drivers and bus companies want no part of it. Installing belts cost money, which ultimately goes back to the schools when they renew their transportation contracts. Given that most school districts have never had a child injured or killed in a school bus, it doesn't look like a good investment.

I don't see any grand conspiracy or lobbying involved.

Reply to
rbowman

Buses crash far more often.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Since you have that statistic please share the death rates too. It is more meaningful that way.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Indeed. When I were a lad, the bus company used the oldest clapped out coaches they had. Which was fun when they broke down and we got a couple of hours off school.

One time the driver asked my friend who was getting on, "could I get some water". To the driver and everyone else already on the bus, it was obvious this meant for the radiator, as the bus was overheating. My friend brought a glass of water for him to drink. The driver threw it across the steaming hot radiator and said "I'm gonna need a bucket".

I'm an adult and don't wear one for that very reason, how do you get it off you in a wreck where it's jamming you in?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ah the plane that floats better than it flies.,

gfretwell

Kids don't get killed that often. In fact they are more likely to get run over by the bus or a (illegal) passing vehicle than to die in it. OTOH school buses kill far more people unfortunate enough to get hit by one. These things are tanks.

gfretwell

No it isnt with seat belts.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Irrelevant to whether seat belts help, just like masks do.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

So, you have nothing. Death rate of passengers in a crash would be meaningful. Even belted in, not uncommon for a 100% death rate on an airplane.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bullshit. The crash rate with commercial jet aircraft is vastly lower than with school buses.

Seat belts arent just about deaths.

But f*ck all crash every year.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

So tell us about the injuries that would have been prevented. You have nothing.

I didn't bring up airplanes and it was stupid for someone to use it as comparison.

Don't just make a comment about seatbelts unless you have something to substantiate your claims.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

More of your mindless bullshit.

You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant. What you might or might not have brought up in spades.

It wasn?t a comparison.

Go and f*ck yourself.

And the crash rate per year does substantiate the claim.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Ah, the standard answer when you don't have facts to back up your claim. Be sure to show your mother how you handled this, it will make her proud.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski