the Dejoy act

A group of House Democrats on Friday introduced legislation to prohibit the Postal Service from lengthening mail-delivery windows and require it to adhere to present service expectations. They named the bill the Delivering Envelopes Judiciously On-time Year-round Act, or DEJOY Act.

Reply to
micky

Love it! Rates have to go up, changes have to be made. I just don't think DeJoy is the guy to do it by slowing down the mail.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Unionized government clerks, carriers and mail handlers...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Easy to blame but that's not it. Things worked well until enlarged competition from UPS and Fedex, and email.

Everything worked a lot better until Dejoy got appointed.

Reply to
micky

The USPS also wanted a rate increase but Congress said "no" so they lose money. They also have to prepay some retirement benefits that industry does no have do

So far, I've only seen DeJoy do stupid things and try to slow mail in ballots.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

Bzzzzzt. If you actually looked at the price of sending mail you'd have seen that, with the notable exception of the basic one ounce #10 business envelope, whose price has has crept up at roughly the rate of inlation, just about _all_ the other USPS rates have gone up _dramatially_ in the past decade.

They've chosen to keep the highly visible "one ounce" standard envelope charge pretty stable, but as to the others? hahahah.

Plus, of course, lots of surcharges for this, that, and all the other things.

Reply to
danny burstein

Have they? You do know the big package customers have negotiated rates, not the ones you and I pay.

Rate of inflation does not affect every operation the same way so that is a poor guide. Rate of inflation means nothing when you hit them with a big expense

Ed Pawlowski

And they've been paying lots more for those "negotiated rates", too.

I don't have the"big mailer" price sheets, but just as one example, "priority mail flat rate" envelopes, which was something like $5.25 (I'm thinking $5.05) four years ago ijumped to $7.50 or so, and now is at $7.95

So again, that #10 one ounce business envelope has only crept up gently, but all the other rates are much hgher

Reply to
danny burstein

It is that 1st class letter that is at the center of all of this tho. They cover their cost on packages, 1st class is a money loser and Congress will not let the real cost be reflected in the price. It is still ignoring the real elephant in the room. The USPS has a huge unfunded pension program that is bleeding them dry. If Congress would take that back they would be in the black. They might even be able to cut postal rates. Then they could have a new pension plan that more closely reflected what the rest of us have, not the gravy train the union rammed down our throat.

Reply to
gfretwell