Seat belts on school buses?

Pity the crashes per year are the relevant stats you pathetic excuse for a bullshit artist.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Just some gee whiz info but 25 million kids ride the bus 180 days a year, 2 ways and that is over 19 million trips a year. They lose a few a year.

Reply to
gfretwell

Plonking this anonymous fool

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I won't follow down the thread where %% loses it completely..

"The school bus is the safest vehicle on the road?your child is much safer taking a bus to and from school than traveling by car. Although four to six school-age children die each year on school transportation vehicles, that?s less than one percent of all traffic fatalities nationwide. NHTSA believes school buses should be as safe as possible. That?s why our safety standards for school buses are above and beyond those for regular buses."

"Students are about 70 times more likely to get to school safely when taking a bus instead of traveling by car"

Reply to
rbowman

In my case you reach for the handy Kabar clipped to the belt and cut it.

I have the feeling that solution would be three kinds of illegal in Britain. It might also discourage carjackers, but I don't tend to drive through the areas where that is a popular sport.

Reply to
rbowman

It's Rod Speed in one of his many aliases. Plonk away! ;-)

Reply to
Xeno

Only problem is his munged ID is plonkproof -- - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

One way is when the rescue unit comes and help you get out while still alive. I'll take that chance over the ones that get tossed out of the car and get killed.

Like this one

van carrying 11 people from out of state drifted off the road and overturned. The roof of the van was ripped open during the crash and the occupants were ejected.

There was one in CT couple of years ago the driver was ejected and somehow got run over by his own pickup.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I put some real numbers up earlier but the Readers Digest version is

25 million kids take 9 BILLION* trips a year and they lose a few a year.

*I had a typo in my other note

Reply to
gfretwell

You don't need a rescue unit with a properly designed seat belt.

In theory you can get tangled if you manage to drive into a river lake or the sea but even then, you'd have to be very unlucky, modern cars float for quite a while before they fill with water.

I'll take that chance over the ones that get tossed out of the

Me too, tho with modern airbags even that's unlikely now.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're a cynical wise ass.

Reply to
MikeJ

But he's not wrong.

Reply to
jimmy

Yes, you're right. I think the problem is that traffic accidents cause injuries. If you don't want injuries or death, don't have a traffic accident. It may be hard to unlatch the seatbelt, but if you ram your head against the inside of the windshield and your unconscious, it's hard to get out of the car too. It's not just being thrown out of the car but also hitting the windshield. Even people in the back seat used to do that.

Reply to
micky

And I've seen hundreds of videos of people being ejected away from the danger.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

My friend's a taxi driver, he legally is not required to wear one (in case a passenger behind him grabs the belt and strangles him). So he cut off a clicky thing from a car in the local junk yard and leaves it plugged in to stop the "ding!". My car only has a warning light, so I painted it over with gloss black paint.

I don't take precautions against unlikely things. Safety mechanisms are only needed if death is likely, like having a reserve parachute.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

jimmy snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote in news:ofSdnRRiXsU snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

His answer is wrong, and irrelevant. The reason there are not seatbelts on school buses is *not* because the bus driver doesn't want to tell a bunch of kids to buckle up, and it's *not* because the driver is too busy trying to keep the kids from getting high or having sex on the bus.

Ed Pawlowski, and others, had the answer. I appreciated that.

Reply to
MikeJ

There is more than one reason. Plenty of people will say "if we just save one kid ..."

Reply to
gfretwell

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 20:59:24 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

I mastered this buffoon after a few posts, for amusement purposes only. I un- plonked him and others to see if they were adding anything useful. This clown doesn't, some have. He is being much more ludicrous than usual.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 15:35:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

Yes they are. PSP inspects them before the school year starts from front to back... Fail them for any kind of infraction as small as the seat stitching unraveling. The seat cover MUST be replaced by OEM materials. All systems MUST be first rate, steering, suspension, brakes, lights, doors, emergency exits, etc. I think the side collision braces would stop a gravel truck (guessing no proof)

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 02:41:56 -0000 (UTC), MikeJ posted for all of us to digest...

Hey Arlen!

Reply to
Tekkie©