Seat Screws on Craftsman Rider

Imagine my surprise when I decided to tighten the seat on my new Crafstman rider mower. Turns out there are two regular hex-headed bolts and two torx-headed bolts. I never saw a torx bolt like that. Turns out that it takes about a size T55 torx fitted to my ratchet to the tune of some $10 at Lowes.

Now, why in H would they use two bolts like that? To sell more tools? Anyway I stole my neighbor's torx ratchet, removed & replaced the two with hex-headed bolts to keep a simple task simple. Then returned the ratchet to my neighbor.

Just thought it was interesting, if not irritating. Sears must be crazy. Or do they know something I don't?

me

Torx are meant for over tightening so its a safety issue.

Hex work like american style Philips. They are not meant to be overtightened. So the two hex hold the seat still while the two torx lock it without using a lock washer.

That's my guess. I may be wrong.

Reply to
Hench

Torx are meant for over tightening so its a safety issue.

Hex work like american style Philips. They are not meant to be overtightened. So the two hex hold the seat still while the two torx lock it without using a lock washer.

That's my guess. I may be wrong.

Reply to
Ted

Sounds reasonable to me too. I would guess most of these are made to speed up assembly more than servicing. Check this out.... 28 types of screwheads...

.jpg

Reply to
Guv Bob