Kg v pound

mmmmm 5 boys

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Tim Lamb used his keyboard to write :

I think I remember sweets coming off ration, was that the same?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

why do we not use metric time?

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

1953
Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Centimetres are not used in the building trade. Much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh that's standard collision detection as practised on coaxial ethernet, wifi and pretty much all 'shared medium' communication protocols that don't use strict TD multiplexing - the equivalent of which in transport terms are traffic lights.

It could be made far better by driverless cars requesting a 'token' for a junction via wifi, and then getting one issued on a first come first served basis.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not if the free bus requires a massive taxi ride at each end.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message <t9u31g$3am69$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield Esq snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> writes

Yes. 1953. I bought a bar of Cadburys milk chocolate. Probably 6d.

Sugar was still rationed although I think there were concessions for WI jam making.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A taxi service might be more fuel efficient at certain times of the day rather than a big bus.

Quite.

Reply to
Fredxx

Don't see how if you elect to cost out the real cost of subsidies.

It gives a greater independence than relying on a third party.

Reply to
Fredxx

Not French, try again - its a bit older than you are.

You are too young to post here.

Reply to
Bev

Those were the symbols used for pounds, shillings and pence before we decimalised the currency in 1971. The L had a cross-bar and a curl at the top, to make the pound symbol you will find on an English computer keyboard, but that doesn't work well on all newsreaders. A shilling was

12 pence and 20 shillings were one pound.
Reply to
Colin Bignell

why a "big bus"? Why not a smaller one?

Reply to
charles

Hmm. So now consider the situation of a driverless vehicle meeting a human driver at the same crossing.

The current life of road vehicles is likely to lead to an overlap of some 20 years unless road users are segregated. I suppose the driverless vehicle could be allocated a priority but I don't see that being popular.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No reason why the vehicle with the human driver can't be given priority, just like a human or kid or dog running across the road in front of a driverless car is.

Reply to
zaq

The French tried a metric calendar during the Revolution.

Reply to
JNugent

It managed to stay at that price until 1962, when Purchase Tax was added to its price.

Reply to
JNugent

On 04/07/2022 11:10, Tim Lamb wrote: <snip>

Driverless cars will be programmed to play safe so will stop if the human driver starts to move so as to risk a collision. That may of course lead to problems when some humans decide to ignore the usual rules about who goes first only to find daft humans are also driving the other car(s). But then I suspect many of those will already be doing that.

Reply to
Robin

To be fair, the Livre is French and all three languages are older than anybody on this newsgroup, unless we have some undead posting.

Reply to
Colin Bignell