Grenfell Tower - Celotex

No, it wont.

That's the difference between combustion and thermal degradation.

It takes up oxygen and it decomposes but it does not add to the fire thermally.

Exactly. It chars, it may give off noxious fumes although the temperature to char it is enough to break down most cyanide type products easily.

The toxic smoke is moire indicative of other plastics found inside the flats.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which is normal in this type of flat. However, it's not really the fire in the flat which is of interest since these will always happen, sadly. But why it spread so quickly and escape was impossible for so many.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And impossible to provide a warning if such doors are jammed open in such a way, dennis? Or other methods?

You can have fire doors which are held open by a electromagnet for a pre-determined time to allow getting things like large objects through. And close automatically in event of a fire alarm. All sorts of ways round it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

All of which can be defeated by a simple wooden wedge :(

We had those in the laboratory where I worked with each section having its own independent fire escape when locked down. I don't recall us ever having a fire when I was there. Implosions and big bangs but no fires.

Fire alarm tests were fun since on the longest corridor it looked like the title sequence from "Get Smart" as the fire doors each slammed shut.

Reply to
Martin Brown

indeed .....but everybody else had deviated from what was the real problem that things like fire doors would not have helped ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

If it is decomposing and oxidising it produces heat at a rate that is determined by the mass loss per unit time and how completely it is oxidised. That adds to the fuel load if there is already something else providing the flame to decompose it and/or a draft.

According to latest reports the insulation burnt better than the exterior cladding if the Grauniad report is to be believed.

The cyanide risk is being overplayed. I'd be more worried by the hot soot and carbon monoxide in the smoke.

Incomplete combustion is more likely internally and soft furnishings can produce some seriously noxious smoke when they finally burn.

Reply to
Martin Brown

or even a convenient fire extinguisher.

which is why they tend to get hung on a wall. Not so tempting.

I had to use a CO2 one on an equipment cooling fan when its motor caught fire and set the polythene blades alight. Only time for real.

Reply to
charles

Who said anything about blaming the fridge?

But someone specified cladding that met BS476 class O, someone purchased cladding that met BS476 class O, someone fabricated and formed cladding that met BS476 class O and someone affixed cladding that met BS476 class O.

If only they had specified the cladding to EN 13501-1 rather than BS476.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Er no. Last I heard they didn't purchase, supply or fix cladding that had been specified.

But that's what inquiries are for...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. Google endothermic reaction mass loss has nothing to do with heat.

As can be shown by burning say iron. It gains mass, but is exothermic.

Your scientific understanding appears stuck in the age of phlogiston...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AIUI the method of installation did not match the conditions for fire certi fication too. Really it looks like errors were made at nearly every stage. The BS testing was inadequate, what little I saw of the design spec looked too vague, the wrong stuff was bought & it was fitted wrongly, creating a c himney. And of course no inspection picked up anything wrong.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Endothermic oxidation reactions are incredibly rare (are there any apart from the formation of ozone?). To the best of my knowledge burning Celotex certainly isn't one of them.

The FR5000 version is closer to your ideal but even then I expect it still gives out some heat but is harder to get alight to start with.

BBC now agrees with Gruniad that the insulation burnt more fiercely than the outer cladding (like you I find this surprising if it is Celotex).

"Preliminary tests on the samples of insulation showed it burned soon after the test started, and more quickly than the cladding tiles. However, they both failed the police's safety tests - which are similar to those being carried out by the UK government"

from

It does when you are burning a block of organic fuel in air.

But iron doesn't have gaseous products of combustion. You are being deliberately perverse to try an win this argument by sophistry.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Then you educate the tenants to remove any they come across. Hardly rocket science.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So just how did the escape staircase get filled with smoke so quickly?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've not heard the news? Named as being Hotpoint, and as never had a safety re-call, and the government wanting it investigated. Lots of arse covering going on.

Shouldn't there be clear and unambiguous regulations about what sort of cladding (fire resistant wise) that is allowed on a building like this?

Not left to 'someone' to decide?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at 12:39:36 on Fri, 23 Jun

2017, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

Today's breaking news is that the insulation layer is implicated too.

Fridge Freezer was Hotpoint (if only they'd stuck to making tumble driers).

Reply to
Roland Perry

Burning PVC is one as are many other plastics.

The BBC is reporting the same source so they would agree.

Not everything that gets burnt is fuel.

Thermic lances aren't going to work too well if they don't produce hot gas.

That's probably true of everything TNP.

Reply to
dennis

Which someone decides on the regulations?

AIUI the building regs do actually say combustible cladding should not be used on high rise buildings.

I don't think there is any doubt that it was combustible or that it was high rise.

As the UK government appears to be unable to make a regulation to stop this happening maybe the EU can? While they are at it fire retardant is not adequate and it should be non-combustible.

Reply to
dennis

So big beefy, half drunk or worse tenant puts a wedge in the door and you expect the OAP living next door to take it out. You have never lived in social housing have you dave? Have you even been in a block of council flats?

It appears you are as far removed from "real" people as the Tories you claim are.

Do you want to offer any evidence that you aren't?

Reply to
dennis

Somebody has dumped a three piece against it (seen that). Someone has dumped old paint cans next to it on the stair side (seen that). Someone has stored a motorcycle in the stairwell (seen that too). Dave has never been in a block of flats, yet! Maybe he should volunteer as a fire warden to see what happens.

Reply to
dennis