Grenfell Tower - Celotex

I wouldn't be so sure of that.. I have been shown a new estate where they built about 20 houses and sold them and then started building the next phase. At this point cracks started to appear in the first phase. It turns out that all the houses had started to move and the developer was now desperately trying to find ways to stabilise the ground. The last time I looked they had demolished some of the first phase and were piling the ground near the houses (not for foundations).

Reply to
dennis

Indeed it spends more time worrying about exact colour schemes and cycle parking ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Problem with statutory anything is keeping such legislation up do date. Who knows - it may have been written before such cladding became common.

Which inspectors might these be?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But now, according to some, it is perfectly OK to have the builders self assess the work is done correctly. Provided that building firm is a big enough contributor to Tory party funds, obviously. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at

14:09:49 on Thu, 22 Jun 2017, "dennis@home" remarked:

Built on a landfill site, perhaps?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Well that is what planning is about.

Reply to
dennis

The tube ticket inspectors, who do you think?

Reply to
dennis

I don't believe it was.

Reply to
dennis

Not that uncommon in old coal or salt mining areas if they don't do the foundations exactly right. They didn't build timber framed for nothing.

Reply to
Martin Brown

You might be near the mark. According to the K&C site:-

'We provide Building Regulation Services on projects across England and Wales through the Partner Authority Scheme.'

My local council (Wandsworth) has its own service. It's also a Tory controlled council, and has been for ages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is there a way to tell which last longer and why or is it like doing the lottery where you have no idea it's all down to luck of the draw.

Reply to
whisky-dave
[snip]

How did anyone know?

Reply to
Huge

Jun

o exists. There are perfectly ok houses around that meet hardly any current BRs. And equally there are unsatisfactory ones that do (Grenfell?).

es were built properly to last, some weren't and haven't survived the test of time. And some have worked well, some have been unsatifactory.

lottery where you have no idea it's all down to luck of the draw.

Do they have adequate foundations. Is the wall construction adequately stab le. Is the roof structure & cladding adequate etc. Is it a type of construc tion know to be problematic. In short there's a big difference between what BR requires & what actually works & lasts.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The refrigerant used could well be R600a. In the right circumstances R600a + mains electricity + 21% oxygen = bang + flames + degradation of blown foam insulation + melting of thermoplastic lining of fridge = fumes + whole kitchen being taken out. Think you have extinguished the flames, open window, whole block of flats sets alight, approaching 100 dead.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Ronan Point happened because there was no redundancy in the structure, remove one element such as a wall of an individual flat and everything else in the vicinity is incapable of carrying the loads it now has to carry.

Reply to
The Other Mike

ITYM there is nothing there to carry the loads.

There are still blocks out there built in that manner AFAIK.

Reply to
dennis

I think they were all modified ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

No we don't, but we did need the EU to agree that the backing of loans for it by the UK government did not break the rules on state aid.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

But will a few pins and stuff like that stand up to an explosion with 50

- 150 g of butane?

Reply to
dennis

Since every flat had a self-closing fire door, how did all that smoke get into the central stairwell anyway ?.

Can't wait to see what comes out at the public enquiry.

Reply to
Andrew