Grenfell Tower - Celotex

I know I should have done a job that didn't matter much.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Just being surprised that the testing standards don't necessarily mean much, and that there seems a low level of independent checking ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In the Scots schools case, it appeared to be a lack of ties rather than failure. But I'd expect a decent quality galvanised tie to have a pretty long life in a normal wall.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

PFI?

Reply to
Andy Burns

My house was built with timber wallplates. Managed 100 years without problems - and were only modified to modern practice because the wood warranty people said so. (Had to have a woodwork warranty as part of the mortgage conditions in those days)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They always will be. But there's a difference between out of date and very out of date.

Well there you go. All part of 'sovereignty'. The ability to make your own decisions no matter who suffers as a result.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Private Public Partnership ??????

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

yes but we still have the stupid home reports and the Engish did away with them very quickly .......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Hopefully it will come out at an enquiry, etc. With the amount of building going on these days, you'd need an adequate number of qualified staff to check it all as it's built. With many councils, that would be an unnecessary expense. Or something that could be privatized.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AIUI there *are* plenty of privatised building control inspectors so that you can inform the council you will using one instead of requiring their own services ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Dave obviously likes to have someone else make all his decisions.

Reply to
Richard

Yes. But sometimes a jobsworth is the best bet. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

fire knows that no amount of

Fibreglass or rockwool would be better on both those counts. OTOH it can tr ap water, so detailing matters.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

piss poor practice?

Reply to
tabbypurr

in the near of Scotland the building Scotland act says you need to inform building standards within seven days of the work starting date.... not seven days before the work starts so you can do the job in six days and inform them on the seventh of your start date and their is sod all the council can do about that the way it is written ...... not a lot of people know that .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

En el artículo , Andrew escribió:

Scottish building inspectors, eh. Too busy wrecking their livers with whisky to do their jobs properly.

or

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Embras full of piss heads ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I wouldn't expect a poof to know what Hemochromatosis is ...probably too busy worrying about catching Aids from beach volleyball partners ........bona ........

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Building inspectors went out in the 70's it is now "Building Standards Surveyors" and some of us were MRICS ........

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

That is scary. If it was the right grade for that purpose it wouldn't do that - I think they need to analyse these foam samples to see which fire retardant chemistry (if any) has been used. Burning them just shows a fail and as of last night they had seen 100% failure rate of both foams and plastic core cladding. How did the fire safety standards get so bad?

There are multiple sorts about. I think the one most commonly on sale to DIY users is a variant of FR5000 - the properly fire retardant one.

The wisdom apparently has been that provided it is a block between foil to prevent access to oxygen it doesn't need to be very fire suppressed. And to be fair if it is installed as cavity insulation in between two fundamentally inert brick/breezeblock wall skins that is about true.

But install that same material against concrete with a cheap thin and also flammable rain cladding on the outside and all bets are off.

Making it 60m high also allows it to make its own updraft and things will always burn a lot better when there is forced air ventilation.

Reply to
Martin Brown