Grenfell Tower - Celotex

Finding out whether applicants were able to spell the word "dementia" might be a good place to start, however.
michael adams

With pedants like that, tax means exactly what they want it to mean, at any one point in time.
--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Pedants? They are propagandists.
--
Roland Perry

Get Steptoe to explain it to you.
Or could it be you are suddenly interested in only using the official term for something?

because the unofficial term is being used deliberately to make something appear harder than it is. For political reasons only, IOW.
--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich people
by telling poor people that "other" rich people are the reason they are poor.

Take it up with the popular press, then. And think of a nice easy Short name which describes it better. I'll give you a clue, though. Steptoe is taken.
--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Now comment on how that differs from the point I was replying to.

All very good. Now explain how making an exiting property smaller would meet any of those objectives. Unless there were an excess of larger properties. In which case the bedroom tax *would* have been simply punitive.
--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

I was expanding on the word "tax", not disagreeing with the purpose you mentioned.

Apparently there's a shortage of 1-bed property as an unforeseen consequence of this benefit cap. So there are people suffering by living in a surplus of 2-bed accommodation they can't afford to pay for.
Turning 20 of the 2-bed flats into a 1-bed plus stairwell will mean everyone still has the bed they need, they will be better off, and the building is safer. Win, win.
--
Roland Perry

so the "new" one bedroom "flat" will have no toilet or cooking facilties - unless it takes spaces from the one living room the remaining flat has?
You might be able to make 3, one bedroom units out of two, two bedroom ones, but it would depend on how the walls were made of.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Huh? The two-bedroom flat has six rooms at the moment.
Two bedrooms, a bathroom, a loo, a kitchen, and a living room.
The bedroom furthest from the living room is almost ideally placed to be a staircase.

Some plans floating around are actually for fewer, larger flats (3-4 bed) on each floor. So that runs against the "bedroom tax" scenario.
--
Roland Perry

Didn't read the planning app for Grenfell that carefully, but it did mention making more flat per floor on some of them. Could be they made some larger ones too.
--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*

On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 15:29:35 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:

are they big enough for a largish stairwell? And do the flat layouts align on every floor to make it doable? And would the new stairwell have communal access?
NT
13:05:38 on Tue, 20 Jun 2017, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

Big enough for a secondary *emergency* staircase, in addition to the existing main staircase. Or if you need more room, then sacrifice the 2nd bedroom from two adjacent flats.

Yes and yes.
However, the biggest problem is breaching the concrete floors all the way through the 24 floors, and making sure the sides of the stairwell are isolated from the flats.
--
Roland Perry

It would almost certainly be cheaper and better to demolish and start again.
--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

I don't think anyone is suggesting doing it to that block.

I wasn't either. It will almost certainly be demolished - even if the structure is still sound. I doubt many would want to live in a building with a history like that no matter how well repaired.
There are plenty of examples around where it is more cost effective to start afresh than do major alterations to the structure.
--
*If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Once its pulled down they can sell the land for a profit.

And then pay even more for the land needed to replace it. It is already at the 'cheap' end of K&C.
--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Replace it?

Of course. The insurance money *must* be used to replace it with suitable council homes.
The so called affordable housing that private developers claim they will build in a planning application always seems to somehow shrink in number by the time work finishes. Certainly did when Boris was Mayor. Be interesting to see if Khan does any better.
--
*Welcome to Shit Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*