Grenfell Tower - Celotex

Now comment on how that differs from the point I was replying to.

All very good. Now explain how making an exiting property smaller would meet any of those objectives. Unless there were an excess of larger properties. In which case the bedroom tax *would* have been simply punitive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Get Steptoe to explain it to you.

Or could it be you are suddenly interested in only using the official term for something?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With pedants like that, tax means exactly what they want it to mean, at any one point in time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True. It is simply a brand name of an insulation product. But its parent company Saint-Gobain makes a wide range of building materials, and it could be that's what was meant. I'd suggest you take it up with the broadcaster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Long blocks of flats commonly have multiple entrances and stairwells. For rather obvious reasons. The same rather obvious reasons explain why a tower block doesn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at 14:15:42 on Tue, 20 Jun

2017, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

I was expanding on the word "tax", not disagreeing with the purpose you mentioned.

Apparently there's a shortage of 1-bed property as an unforeseen consequence of this benefit cap. So there are people suffering by living in a surplus of 2-bed accommodation they can't afford to pay for.

Turning 20 of the 2-bed flats into a 1-bed plus stairwell will mean everyone still has the bed they need, they will be better off, and the building is safer. Win, win.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:20:46 on Tue, 20 Jun

2017, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

Pedants? They are propagandists.

Reply to
Roland Perry

They were built in the early to mid '60s AFAIK.

My wife lived in one as a child so that makes them at least 50 years old.

I don't know how they were constructed but they have banned LPG.

If LPG is banned can they have a fridge? Will a fridge have enough gas in it to cause a Ronan Point type of disaster?

Reply to
dennis

so the "new" one bedroom "flat" will have no toilet or cooking facilties - unless it takes spaces from the one living room the remaining flat has?

You might be able to make 3, one bedroom units out of two, two bedroom ones, but it would depend on how the walls were made of.

Reply to
charles

my fridge runs off mains electricity

Reply to
charles

Why should he "take it up with the broadcaster"? You're the fool that posted it here, you take it up with them for making you look an idiot. Oh crap - not their fault, you have always been one.

Reply to
Richard

because the unofficial term is being used deliberately to make something appear harder than it is. For political reasons only, IOW.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So does mine. But I still expect that it has butane in it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , at 14:52:52 on Tue, 20 Jun 2017, charles remarked:

Huh? The two-bedroom flat has six rooms at the moment.

Two bedrooms, a bathroom, a loo, a kitchen, and a living room.

The bedroom furthest from the living room is almost ideally placed to be a staircase.

Some plans floating around are actually for fewer, larger flats (3-4 bed) on each floor. So that runs against the "bedroom tax" scenario.

Reply to
Roland Perry

mine is probbaly too old for butane, but ebven if it wasn't I would expect tehre to be a small quantity, unlike a LPG cylinder used for cooking.

Reply to
charles

The purpose of a high rise is to accommated the largest number of people on the smallest land area. If you're going to mess with that ratio by removing rooms and adding stairwells, a re-think of the whole thing might be better.

But two stairwells filled with killer smoke ain't going to help much either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With the current housing shortage, making an existing flat smaller is a total nonsense, unless the object it to provide more needed units.

And single people or even couples ain't the priority. It's those with kids.

Of course it would be great to provide affordable housing for at least some single people. Like perhaps nurses and young police, teachers, etc. As once was done.

Doubt that will happen in my lifetime.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Take it up with the popular press, then. And think of a nice easy Short name which describes it better. I'll give you a clue, though. Steptoe is taken.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's about the standard of the vast majority of the reporting on the Grenfell tower disaster.

Reply to
Huge

Wrong again Dave, the biggest growth is in single person households.

Reply to
Capitol