Glue for glass to metal?

From my experience, gloss paint is resistant to removal - unless you want it to stick, of course.

Reply to
PeterC

There is also a glue, though its expensive. sold by a certain lead crystal manufacture for fixing their things. Its not cheap though. The problem often is that the metal bits and the glass bits have different behaviours expansion wise which in my view is why they eventually fall to bits. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Fokker stuck the wings to their F28 passenger jets with something similar to Araldite.

Martin

Then you are using it in unsuitable applications and/or not using it correctly. Which does not surprise me.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks, I'll try that.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Probably preparing the surfaces badly.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Mine fell to bits because I rammed it sideways with a heavy crate of stuff.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There's no way that would have been strong enough, there must have been bolts somewhere aswell.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The instructions are quite clear. Clean the surfaces, mix the two compounds, stick them together. What could possibly go wrong?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There's cleaning and cleaning? Lots of cleaning products leave a residue which could effect the bond. Also best to clamp it until the glue sets. Maybe for 24 hours. Metal to glass is one of the easier things to bond.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've always just used water, or soapy water, then wiped it well.

I'd say the hardest. Smooth surfaces leave nothing for the glue to make a purchase on. How many times have you seen or had a rearview mirror fall off? How many times have you thought, "Why the f*ck don't they just bolt it to the roof of the car?"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Degrease using acetone works.

Reply to
Martin

After making sure it is clean to look at use some isopropyl alchohol or similar solvent cleaner.

Really? You find hardened paint just wipes off glass?

Never.

My car doesn't have a roof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It does if you don't want it to. Try painting a sheet of glass and see how effective it is. When you want something to stick, 50% success rate is a failure. When you want something not to stick, that same 50% success rate is also a failure.

I guess you've had cars designed properly then, some of them simply have a bracket going 2 inches up to the roof. No reason for using glue instead of doing this.

The cars I've seen like that have the rearview mirror bolted to the dash.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

After letting the 2 part superglue cure for 24 hours (dunno if that was necessary), it seems strong enough. I'm not going to test how strong it is, but just leave it in normal use and see what happens. but so far it's stronger than the contact adhesive (which I thought would be the other way round). If it fails again, I've got car rearview mirror adhesive on order, and I'll sand the two surfaces well first.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

epoxies have been used for lots of structural purposes. I doubt it was little retail tubes of araldite rapid though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I can't believe any glue would hold a wing on a plane. Think how much force those get.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

When the M63 (now M60) Barton Bridge was widened in the late '80s/early '90s, they cut out the concrete from the sides of the bridge deck to expose the reinforcing rods and extended them into the new "wings" using collars. The collars slid over the ends of the two rods, were clamped in place using a number of capscrews, had seals at each end and finally were filled with an epoxy resin.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

No. Some aircraft skins are bonded with epoxy. Carefully mixed with the correct properties and RF heated to cure it.

A bit of araldite casually mixed and left to go hard will after a few days seem to have set, but it will be rubbery when hot and have no strength.

The same epoxy mixed very well and stoved at 100C will set rock hard and be proof against boiling water.

I am sytill using china that I fixed like that years ago.

Epoxy is not a good amateur glue. Car body filler - which is a catalysed polyester resin - is MUCH easier to get good results with.

Someone did an analysis of all the possible glues that worked well on wooden model planes - superglue, balsa cement, polyester, epoxy...polyurethane, aliphatic and urea-formadehyde.

The best one turned out to be cheap carpenters white PVA glue.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't believe there's no such thing in the 21st century as a foolproof glue that just sticks anything to anything without having to f*ck about. What have chemists been doing all this time?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword