Glue for glass to metal?

Spending all their time trying to make cars run on water.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But they'd need to make it so you would have success too. Which is impossible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Blindingly obvious :-) I did use the word similar.

If you had googled a bit you would have discovered tht the F28 was at the time the only civilian airliner whose wings had snapped off :-) Pilot flew into a thunderstorm near R'dam pulled -3 to -6G and a wing snapped plane buried itself deep in the ground south of R'dam near the Moerdijk Bridge

Martin

That was a fokking stupid thing to do.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The greenies have a lot to answer for.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

How hard can it be for a chemical to be pasted onto any surface and get a good hold of it? Superglue is fairly good, it dissolves a layer of a lot of surfaces.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

similar but certainly not the same

Reply to
tabbypurr

I definitely wrote similar.

Reply to
Martin

Can you prove that in a court of law?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There used to be a place at Duxford called Aero research for that very purpose then Ciba Giegy composites now Hexcel composites and Huntsman special products they've been gluing aero structures for many years.....

tony sayer

Ciba Geigy made Araldite, which sucked, I don't trust them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The Mosquito bombers were glued together with Aerolite. After the war Aerolite was used by boat builders. At some point the British maker was taken over by CIBA a Swiss company. Aerolite was delivered as a white powder that you mixed with water. The hardener is formic acid.

Martin

(Imagines billions of ants tied up with cotton forced to produce acid day in day out, suffering from total exhaustion.)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not was, it still is. I have some.

IME boatbuilders have largely gone over to epoxy - but not completely.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

What would you recommend for a plastic canoe that leaks slowly? It's not the usual fibreglass, it's a touring canoe (or probably kayak, I can never remember the difference).

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Depends entirely on the plastic. I'm not an expert in canoes, but I'd guess the most likely thing would be polypropylene - in which case the only fix is to weld it. Melt an old plastic bucket or something into the leaks.

Or you could just use duct tape :)

Canoes are open, and you kneel; Kayaks are enclosed, and you sit. Except sometimes you sit in a canoe, and it's enclosed...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

This is open and I sit. But not open like a rowing boat. It's 6 inches thick containing air, and I sit on top. I think it's sold as a "sit on kayak".

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

If it's cracks that allow the canoe to leak, the cracks can be sealed by allowing Araldite to run into the cracks by using a hair drier.

Reply to
Martin

I don't think I'll be able to repair it, I cannot find where the water's getting in. If I use it for an hour, it half fills with water inside. But if I fill it with water and try to find where it's leaking back out, I can't see anything. I guess it's many many hairline cracks. I'll just have to put up with stopping every time it gets low in the water.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I found this site regarding sticking things, haven;t verified it;s any good though.

whisky-dave