Gluing glass to metal

This is OT for this group, but I figure someone here might know. I have a side table with a round glass top. The support for the top is a single disk of metal about 2.5" in diameter, which used to be glued to the glass top. The glue failed, and I've now removed it. The top is cantilevered -- the support sits off to one side.

Question: What adhesive is best to reglue the glass to the metal? It needs to dry clear, be able to bond to both surfaces, and be able to deal with the weight of the glass and a coffee cup or such on it.

Thanks,

Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

What about the special glue used to attach rearview mirrors to windshields? Don't know (haven't tried it), but it might be worth looking into. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

When I worked in the glass shop we used an expoxy based adhesive to attach the metal to the glass. It was the same stuff the autoglass department used for the rearview mirrors. Most shops will have some that is about gone that they will usually give ya. Good luck.. I have some in my shop somewhere so if you need the name of the product let me know.

Al

Reply to
Al

3M 5200 available at your local Home Depot.

Once down, the only way to break the joint is with a hot wire guillotine.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

: > Question: What adhesive is best to reglue the glass to the metal? : > It needs to dry clear, be able to bond to both surfaces, and : > be able to deal with the weight of the glass and a coffee cup or : such on it.

: 3M 5200 available at your local Home Depot.

: Once down, the only way to break the joint is with a hot wire guillotine.

Great! Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks to all in this thread --

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

IMHO, using adhesive only to hold a hot cup of coffee is akin to using adhesive only to hold roof tiles in the BIG DIG project. Epoxy is great, I use it all the time but for critical applications it needs to be backed-up with mechanical fastening. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Ugh - that stuff is pure junk. The evidence of that is the number of mirrors that fall off. Clear silicone works better than that stuff.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually it works quite well. There are millions of cars on the road that seldom have a problem with the mirror falling off. You just have to follow instructions perfectly.

Reply to
Leon

I have to agree with you Leon, if you buy the garbage from you local discount stores he is right it won't hold up. Allot is to be said about the prep as well just like in wood working. You have to make sure both surfaces are clean. Then you spray on the primer wait a minute cover the contact surface evenly with the glue and put it in place after it sets (in a couple seconds) wipe off the remainder of the primer and your done. I worked in that field for a long time and I know better then to buy the garbage form the local discount stores. So Mike your right on one hand but on the other if you use the real stuff

something like this.

Good Luck and of coarse this is MHO but since I am PPG certified.

Al

Reply to
Al

Having worked in the automotive industry for many years we always offered to glue the mirror back on for the customer with the stern warning to strictly adhere to the instructions if he declined the offer. :~) Having worked for an Oldsmobile dealer, we always used the GM branded product.

Reply to
Leon

The stuff they use in the factory is not the same junk they sell in the aftermarket. I've followed the directions to the T and have never had good luck with that stuff.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

: > Question: What adhesive is best to reglue the glass to the metal? : > It needs to dry clear, be able to bond to both surfaces, and : > be able to deal with the weight of the glass and a coffee cup or : such on it.

: 3M 5200 available at your local Home Depot.

: Once down, the only way to break the joint is with a hot wire guillotine.

Does it dry clear? the photos on 3M's website suggest it's white.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Don't remember.

White & brown are commmon marine colors.

Most of the time I don't care, so never paid any attention.

Sorry.

Try calling 3M tech service.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The Mike Marlow entity posted thusly:

We must have had far different experiences. I have only had one rear-view mirror come off, and that was because a friend hit it with the end of a board he was trying to put into the car.

Clear silicone, on the other hand, I wouldn't trust as far as flour and water and pink thread.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Well, a lot of the aftermarket adhesives are of the same quality as used in the factory. I will have to agree that some of the stuff out there may not work as advertised but the brands that I sold and or bought were of equal quality.

Reply to
Leon