Gluing glass to metal

I have a glass and metal side table -- the top is round and about

15" in diameter, and its support is a metal disk about 2.5" in diameter. The top was glued onto the support, and the support was off to the side, so the top was cantilevered a bit.

The glue seal broke, and I want to reglue the glass top to the metal support. Question: What's the best adhesive to use? It has to dry clear, and bond to both glass and metal.

Thanks,

Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

You might try an auto supply store. Your rear view mirror has a metal piece that is actually glued to your windshield then the mirror fits over it. The same glue should do the trick for your purpose.

Good luck

Reply to
RaS

I've given up on the auto window stuff. It never lasts very long. Check at the hardware store for a clear epoxy. I stuck my rear view mirror up with one about 5 years ago. It is still holding

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

For this I'd use GE Silicon II. Actually any adhesive used for aquarium sides will work.

Reply to
Phisherman

Properly used that automotive stuff is great. I don't know if it has a self life, but one error often made it not realizing that it can not harden unless it gets full sun.

In the case in point I would suggest a top quality silicon glue as it will allow for some expansion and contraction as the two materials are not going to expand at the same rate.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It didn't work well for me either, but the second or third time I used it, I got the hang of it. It had to do with cleaning the window and the metal, spreading the glue around, and getting the metal up there pretty quick, and holding it. (I guess that doesn't help much.)

I didnt' like spending so much for one capsule, and I think elsewhere in the self-service auto parts store, or somewhere, I found something with 3 capsules for the same money. The packaging mentioned glass. Name brand iirc, not the little cyanoacryllic tubes sold in cards of

10 at hamfests (I bought that but haven't tried it yet). It worked well.

He could also try PC-70. It sticks to glass. It's grey, but maybe he could paint it clear.

Reply to
mm

What is your time worth? I'd carry the thing into a good glass company, and pay them to do it with the not-available-outside-the-trade stuff, similar to what is used on rearview mirrors. Sounds like the stuff they glue signs and handles to glass doors with would be about right. They do this for a living, they know what works.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

ameijers wrote: :>

: What is your time worth? I'd carry the thing into a good glass company, and : pay them to do it with the not-available-outside-the-trade stuff, similar to : what is used on rearview mirrors. Sounds like the stuff they glue signs and : handles to glass doors with would be about right. They do this for a living, : they know what works.

I went to one glass company, with avery good rep. The guy told me to go to Ace Hardware and get some silicone caulk.

-- Andy BArss

Reply to
Andrew Barss