Glue for glass to metal?

I'm trying to repair a cupboard doorhandle where the metal part screws onto the door, then the glass knob you pull is glued onto that. I seperated the two when I knocked it with a heavy crate I was carrying. I've tried gluing it with contact adhesive, and am currently trying 2 part superglue. Any other ideas?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Go to an an auto parts store and get the glue that is used to glue the mirror to the windshield.

Make sure you remove the old glue fefore putting on the new.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thanks, I'll give that a go, although isn't the mirror bracket plastic?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'd use epoxy.

Reply to
newshound

I used to use araldite for everything, but I found contact adhesive worked better.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Since its James Wilkinson [pork] Sword, I'd suggest Sarin

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I live in Scotland, there aren't enough Muslims up here to obtain the ingredients.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No use. The right thing is to go to a car parts shop and see if they still stock the UV curing adhsive that was used to stick the catches onto quarterlights and make sure that it is exposed to sunlight.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Epoxy - but does need to be clamped etc until it sets. You can get clear stuff. Way stronger than contact and more versatile than superglue.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm going to try the rearview mirror adhesive as suggested by someone else.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've tried Araldite (which is the best epoxy?) on lots of things and it never lasts long.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

There are various types epoxies and package may tell you best use. For quick setting jobs I will use the fastest cure but strongest adhesion is usually the longest lasting bond. As others mention you need clean surfaces on both pieces to get the best bond.

Reply to
Frank

I've always found no matter how clean the surface is, if it's something smooth (like metal or glass), then the glue can't get a purchase on it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

A file, emery cloth, or coarse sandpaper might be a good thing to use.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You must be doing something wrong...

Reply to
rbowman

Well, rough it up. Sandpaper will work on the metal and a dab or two of hydrofluoric acid will etch the glass nicely.

Reply to
rbowman

Epoxy does in fact work, but your suggestion is better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From my experience, gloss paint is resistant to removal - unless you want it to stick, of course.

Reply to
PeterC

Then you are using it in unsuitable applications and/or not using it correctly. Which does not surprise me.

Reply to
newshound

Thanks, I'll try that.

Reply to