remove barbed fitting from irrigation tubing

I have a piece of 160 PSI irrigation tubing. OD a hair over an inch, ID just a bit over 3/4.

It broke at a connection. Well, the barbed connector fitting broke in half.

It would be easy to replace, except I can't get the old one out.

I don't want to shorten the tubing, as it's the right length now, or I would just cut each end and start over. I could do that and insert a piece, but I would have to buy a 100 foot roll.

Is there any good way to do this?

Reply to
TimR

Does it have to be exactly the same tubing for some reason? If not, go down to your local farm supply store or Ace hardware. Buy a couple feet or so of hose and splice that in. A double hose barb and maybe some hose clamps should get you started. NAPA or another auto parts store might have something. Could you splice in a pvc hose nipple?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Heat it very carefully with a propane torch or heat gun.

Reply to
trader_4

Go to a local plumber and ask to buy a few feet. Splice as needed.....

Or buy the 100ft roll and sell what is left on ebay or craigslist.

Reply to
Bud

All the fittings and tubing you ever wanted. Brass, stainless, etc.

ID just a bit over 3/4.

would just cut each end and start over. I could do that and insert a piece, but I would have to buy a 100 foot roll.

Reply to
Newgene McMensa

Heat gun to soften it up?

Reply to
rbowman

That's my next plan.

I've also wondered if I could smash it with a big hammer and anvil and get the pieces out without too much damage to the pipe.

Reply to
TimR

I might be more inclined to used vise grips or a C clamp for the smashing idea. You could see what's happening. Someone mentioned using a hacksaw to cut the fitting from the inside. Maybe cut the fitting a bit, then try squeezing it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Ah, I like that. Seems worth a try.

I would have thought this to be a common problem, but I guess anyone using this stuff usually has plenty of extra around.

Reply to
TimR