Which Glue for glass on metal?

Can anyone give me an idea as to what is the best glue to stick a glass cover that goes over the microfiche on a microfiche reader to the metal bracket thing as the glues come unstuck, the microfiche is a Bell & Howell.

Thanks,

Will

Reply to
W Johnson

Try some silicone sealant

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Araldite Super Ceramic ( Araldite for glass ) or those pads that stick rear view mirrors to the windscreen.

Reply to
Kris

Thanks for your reply on this, I had thought about silicone but looking at the glue that was originally on it, the layer is very thin almost invisible slihhtly yellowish I'm not sure you could get sealant to go that thin, also I think the hinge thing might not work properly if you have a thick layer between it and the glass--that's my problem :(

Will

Reply to
W Johnson

thanks the aradite might work but the pad won't as the layer has to be very thin, almost invisible.

Will

Reply to
W Johnson

should give you an idea.

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Frost

Superglue should do it, it has quite good resistance to heat.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Is super glue flexible? I'm worried that slightly differing expanding/cracking in the glass + aluminium hinge may cause the glass to break- is it right to be concerned about this or am I just worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks,

Will

Reply to
W Johnson

Who said it has to be a thick layer? Come to that if the fit is snug enough varnish would do the job. No nails and some contact adhesives will also do. If they can get ceramic tiles to stick to aluminium (sometimes) you should be alright with the appropriate variety of superglue.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Super glue isn't particularly strong IMO, varnish sounds a potty idea.

The metalwork on my father's shower door was fixed using a UV cure adhesive, you wouldn't know it was there. This was over 10 years ago but it was from one of the brand name ranges and available on the high street.

Reply to
Toby

If you need something that flexes try silicone sealant, it holds all glass fish tanks together quite well, and is fairly heatproof too.

Might also be worth asking the manufacturer what they would recommmend.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Not being familiar with the OP's particular needs I can't say where you have got it wrong. Strength is not the requirement is it? Adhesion is.

As for modern contact adhesives such as the various superglues, they are based on the ability of limpets to cling to rock. Wet rock. Salt encrusted dry rock. Rock subject to extremely hard wear and tear. The limpet shell in contact with said rock has a narrow cross section.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Thanks Anthony, and all other's who replied about this problem. According to the above site Loctite Impruv is the type of glue recommended to stick glass to metal (commonly sticking a rear view mirror to windscreen) it requires UV to adhere looks like I'll try this sort.

Cheers,

Will

Reply to
W Johnson

Thanks Toby, most superglues I've looked at say they need one surface to be porous so glass sticking to metal would be no good. Does anyone know of a UV cure adhesive that you can get in the UK? I've looked on Screwfix and I can't see any.

Thanks,

Will

Reply to
W Johnson

Will,

I have used Glassbond a number of times with great success. First use was to stick an 'over centre' type of catch onto the glass quarterlight of a 1979 Fiat 128 3P. The point I'm making is that it had to withstand considerable force when holding the window shut - much more than a rear view mirror sticky pad. I did assist the cure with a UV B lightbox (primary function: PCB design), but the packaging claimed (and still does) that bright sunlight and scrupulously clean surfaces are sufficient. Glassbond is made by Loctite and distributed by Henkel, but their website is impenetrable!

Sorry if this doesn't help, I haven't been following the thread.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Thanks Richard! That's the same product I've eventually found after a few hours on the web! It looks like Glass Bond is the UK version of Loctite Impruv in the US so I'll definitely have a go with this it says it sticks glass to glass or glass to metal using sunlight so here's hoping for a sunny day this week....

Cheers,

Will

Reply to
W Johnson

Good!

UV 'B' or black light tubes are not too dear. Maplin sells them for their PCB light box. I guess that I should have asked what you are trying to stick!

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Looks like you are on to a winner, the Loctite version sounds vaguely familiar. Clean and shiny surfaces, a sunny day, and an hour on the patio did it for us.

Reply to
Toby

Thanks for your reply. What I'm hoping to stick is slightly unusual- the small glass sheet that goes over the microfiche slide on a microfiche reader to the black painted aluminium(I think) hinge that makes the sheet pop up to allow you to put the microfiche slide in when you pull the slider out. Will sticking the glass to painted metal be any different to sticking it to bare metal? I'm not sure what sort of paint it is but I think it is standard one used on aluminium parts for microfiches/microscopes etc.

Cheers,

Will

Reply to
W Johnson

Thanks- the surfaces still have the old glue on them should I attempt to sand it off(maybe a bit dodgy with optic quality glass!) also the metal I'm glueing the glass plate onto is I think black painted aluminium I think a standard sort of paint used on microscopes/microfiche machines etc.- does the fact it's painted mean glass bond won't work- should I try and sand the paint off?

Cheers,

Will

Reply to
W Johnson