Glue for foam pipe insulation

You know that gray foam rubber/styrofoam stuff they sell to insulate copper pipes? Does anyone know a good glue that would work to seal this stuff to itself? Something that sort of "melts" the foam slightly to form a "welded" bond would be best. (I think that's the sort of thing that happened with plastic models and model glue I used as a kid.)

Reply to
jeffc

I know this does not answer your question - but it is related. Lowes makes that foam insulation with glue on it - you peel off a protective coating and stick the edges together.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Everhart

Actually I'll be using it for a different purpose. I'm cutting it and I'll need to glue it where there wouldn't be any pre-coated edges. Thanks though.

Reply to
jeffc

Foam insulation is sold pre glued you just peel of a plastic sealing strip. Or contact cement for plastic.

Reply to
m Ransley

I do not know of any but most people use either duct tape or the selfholding wireties to bind the insulation together.

Reply to
borgunit

Umm...what are you doing?

When we have to join two sections, we use either duct tape, or several wraps of electrical tape.

Reply to
webmaster

There is but I do not know what it is nor where to buy it. The pro insulators at work used something that looked like rubber cement. Looked a lot like a rubber cement applicator can with brush not dabber. They would apply to both sides and push together for 10-20 seconds and it was bonded. The result was nice tight professional seams.

Probably time to loose the Box Stores and seek the pros in your area.

Reply to
AlanBown

Contact cement.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Use "3M Super 77" adhesive, it's a contact cement designed for foam. Spray both surfaces, let it tack up a bit, join surfaces. If done correctly the glue joint will be as strong or stronger than the foam.

DJ

Reply to
DJ

Jeff,

There are several products that bond soft foam very well. As another poster has already mentioned, 3M makes one such product. You can probably locate the 3M product ("Super 77") at any hardware store.

You can also check with art supply stores and craft stores, who have a large market for such products. They will probably have several different foam bonders to pick from and they will probably sell at least one product in a size smaller than the "Super 77", in case you just need a small amount.

Good luck, Gideon

============================

Reply to
Gideon

I don't know of a gray one. The best is Armaflex and it is black. They sell their own contact adhesive. Here is a reference:

DanG

Rubber cement? What's the application? The stuff stays on pipes well enough by itself, and if it didn't, duct-tape would be a simpler solution than glue.

Reply to
Goedjn

Electrical tape works well. Spiral it along the pipe.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to jeffc, Link. wrote: glue foam pipe insulation after roughening/chaffing/grate edges with aggressive wood file and using gorilla glue. Duck tape edges together to hold until it sets. be advised that gorilla glue will "foam"/expand and remember to "dampen edges to activate glue.

Reply to
Link.

replying to jeffc, Link. wrote: glue foam pipe insulation after roughening/chaffing/grate edges with aggressive wood file and using gorilla glue. Duck tape edges together to hold until it sets. be advised that gorilla glue will "foam"/expand and remember to "dampen edges to activate glue.

Reply to
Link.

looking for the same thing, but I dont want to set and wait forever for each section to dry, like the corners and any add in pcs that are fatter. And I just had an epiphany... Yip thats right .. An epiphany - double sided tape. So much neater in every respect, find the right cheap tape and theres a lot out there with different adhesives, youd want a thin aggressive double sided tape ... O, now I just have to try it. Where did I put that tape !! Good Luck for us both. Your job is likely done.

Reply to
Cindy

Im looking for the same thing, but I dont want to set and wait forever for each section to dry, like the corners and any add in pcs that are fatter. And I just had an epiphany... Yip thats right .. An epiphany - double sided tape. So much neater in every respect, find the right cheap tape and theres a lot out there with different adhesives, youd want a thin aggressive double sided tape ... O, now I just have to try it. Where did I put that tape !! Good Luck for us both. Your job is likely done.

Reply to
Cindy