Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

Hi. I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2" diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after a few months/years. Any ideas? Advice appreciated. Thanks Theodore.

Reply to
millinghill

Spray foam (automotive) adhesive

Reply to
dpb

Given the cost of similar insulation at HD, I would not go through the trouble of trying to join two split pieces. Just not worth it. Buy the 1" ones.

Reply to
trader4

millinghill wrote the following:

I use the 3M clear duct tape. It lasts much longer and doesn't dry out or delaminate like the grey stuff. I have had the foam covering all the cold water lines in my basement for years, and the clear duct tape is still holding. I've even used it outside and it's gone through hot summers and cold winters without deteriorating.

Reply to
willshak

Me, neither, but that wasn't the question.

Reply to
dpb

Tie wraps.

Reply to
Ron

I was thinking the same thing. Lots of work for little money, and by the time all the glue/tape is purchased, why bother. Give or sell the

1/2 inch stuff to someone else and buy what you need.

In a normal house, the cold water pipes are 3/4 inch (Inside Dia). You didn't say if you have copper, plastic or galv steel pipe, but be sure to get the right size. You could have actual 1 inch ID pipe, but my bet is it's 3/4 inch.

Reply to
jw

I've used electrical tape in the past, works well. You don't have to wrap the insulation completely, just make a spiral around it or for long perfectly straight runs just a ring around it every couple feet. In fact, I was going to do same thing you're doing this afternoon, but for different reasons (energy savings, and in the interest of bringing as much hot water as possible to the shower - both I and roommate subscribe to the "set the shower to 'third degree burn' and then dial it back two notches" method of setting water temperature...)

I did some insulating in my parents' basement w/ that split pipe insulation stuff and 3M electrical tape maybe 20 years ago for reasons of condensation (incoming water pipe from a very deep well) and as far as I know it's still in place. I got all fancy with mitering the corners and such to make it look nice :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

There is an adhesive made for this stuff:

Reply to
DanG

@Theodore:

Cutting pipe insulation that is designed for 1/2" pipe in half will not adapt it to fit pipes that are 1"...

You will have two pieces that will not even touch when on the pipe... You would have to scoop out the material on each half of the insulation so that it fits a 1" pipe...

Go to a supply house or home center and purchase what you actually need...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Buy the same stuff made for 1" pipe. It is readily available from good plumbing and building supply houses.

Reply to
clare