cold water pipe condensation

We've got a private well, and the water stays at around 55 degrees year- round (I just checked and it's 52 at the moment) - water drips from the outside of the cold water pipe that runs through the basement (currently at 75 degrees).

Is there any way of reducing / eliminating the problem? Will insulating the cold-water pipework make a difference? (I was worried about trapping moisture between the insulation and pipe, promoting corrosion, but maybe the insulation will actually stop the problem entirely?)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

yes

yes, use a final impervious wrapping to prevent moisture gettin to pipe

(I was worried about trapping

No, insulation + vapour barrier.

Normally here split foam slipped over and then the whole taped up with gaffer tape. (duct tape/Duck Tape

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You want closed-cell insulation. It's used for cold refrigerant and chilled water pipe insulation in air conditioning systems. The closed cells prevent the insulation becoming water-logged and no longer acting as an insulator. Armaflex is the best known make.

Having said that, the cheap grey pipe insulation for heating pipes seems to be sufficiently closed cell to work for what you want.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You could try changing the water pipe to plastic

Reply to
A Plumber

That's what we have, and it still had lots of condensation until I added insulation and tape.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Armaflex Self Seal Pipe Insulation.

- Foamed Nitrile Rubber (Closed Cell)

- Built in Vapour Barrier

- minus 50oc to plus 105oC

- Class 0 fire resistance (self extinguishing, no drip)

- Self-Seal is pre-slit with already applied double sided taped on each slit surface

- Thermal conductivity @ 0oC = 0.034 W/mK

- NOT for outdoor use re UV protection unless Armafinish FR paint applied within 3 days & 2 or more coats may be required

item 200505445944 Example - 15mm dia pipe, 9mm insulation wall, 13mm insulation wall.

You can also buy it plain slitted and you need glue.

If you needed more insulation you could use the Celotex/Kingspan "version", it has a foil inner & outer covering. I think that is more for steam heating pipes, never looked into it.

Should be available in the USA re HVAC (air-con) suppliers. Just check it is fire retardant re plumbers torches & electrical.

Reply to
js.b1