Water heater / pipe bang

Since having our gas hot water heater replaced, I've noticed that there's a single "bang" after hot water use. It isn't associated with turning the water on and off. I think it is thermal, pipe expansion or contraction after the hot water heater runs to recover.

Is this going to damage anything? In other words, is it worth figuring out exactly what is banging and where and trying to fix it?

Reply to
Jerry Schwartz

Put your hand on the pipes near the heater when this occurs; may help find the source.

See if the heater has been equipped with "heat trap" nipples on top. These have a check valve which might possibly be to blame (though they usually just click).

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The timing is rather unpredictable, so I'm not sure I could catch it in the act.

What would "heat trap" nipples look like?

Reply to
Jerry Schwartz

Speedy Jim