What glue for mower seat cover to frame?

I need to re-glue the cover of our ride-on mower's seat to its metal frame. The cover is fairly standard cloth backed PVC (or similar) and it has to be pulled tight over the cushion to even reach the frame.

What sort of glue would work? Some sort of contact adhesive suggests itself at first but will that cope with the continuous sideways pull on the joint? What else might be better?

Reply to
Chris Green

None.

Just wind gaffer tape round it. It's only a mower!

Reply to
Huge

A new cover made from some new pvc, this will be bigger and some way to pull it tight while its glued will then be available. Alternatively, secure some wooden battens under the seat and those to trap the new material. I have seen the issue on some of the councils mowers, and most seem to now merely have a kind of thick bag over the padded seat secured below it. I suspect its a common problem! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You soon get sticky bum syndrome this way however. I love the council solution, looks suitably rustic. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not really possible as the cover is concave if you see what I mean. I guess there's something holding the middle down somehow or maybe the whole thing is sort of moulded to aboout the right shape.

It is an old mower, though being a Kubota is still mowing away quite happily. It's actually still OK to sit on, it just offends my sensibilities! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

I have seen replacement agricultural tractor seats offered through the trade press. Not hugely expensive for popular models. There may be something out there for mowers:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Shoe Goo, but it may also need some help from mechanical crimps or similar

Reply to
newshound

You might have to just stop being sensible. I expect you could sew a new cover that slots on & extends under the seat for easy retention.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's not such a silly idea, I have suitable material and a sewing machine which I'm as familiar with as anyone else around here.

Reply to
Chris Green