What glue for brass to wood?

I have laid a floorboard across a door transition between a suspended timber floor and a solid concrete floor. I want a piece of brass on top as a threshold. It will be about 1200mm long by 120mm wide.

What would be the best glue to use to glue this down? Contact adhesive? Polyurethane - to give a bit of filling capability so I can get it exactly level or araldite?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Neither. You need to screw it down with countersunk brass screws. Is this brass plate thick enough to allow countersinking ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes screw it to the wood part and put something likemastic under the bit over the concrete to cushion it a bit. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's a big bit of brass! How are you going to make the edges safe? You might be able to bed it in epoxy, or use packers, but you'll need screws; I wouldn't try it. Personally I would use a piece of oak, either screwed down with brass csk screws or (more likely) in pockets and plugged.

Reply to
nothanks

Car body filler, or polyurethane for slight flexibility...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And how thick? How are you chamfering the sharp edges?

Most door threshold fittings are 60mm or at most 75mm wide.

Shiny metal can be slippy when wet.

PU space filling high tack adhesive ought to be OK for holding it there unless there are particular difficulties with heavy footfall. Brass screws tend to do a better job of holding door thresholds down.

The sheer forces when people stand on them and then step off can be a problem otherwise. One that is only partially fastened is dangerous.

Reply to
Martin Brown

2mm thick. So probably not. No sharp edges - the top of the brass will be flush with the floor. The wooden strip is 2mm or so below floor level.
Reply to
Andrew

Should have made clear that the brass is not over the floors but will be flush with them. The wood is slightly thinner than the adjacent floorboards.

Reply to
Andrew