Lighting wiring centres

I could do with having a tidy up of the lighting circuit in the garage, which includes several internal and external lights and corresponding switches, drivers and PIRs.

I thought about those pre-wired units, SF and TS seem to sell 'Surewire' but they don't seem very generic, only covering specific scenarios e.g. mains in, mains out, a single switch and several downlighters

I'd like something more general that can handle mains in + out, five lights with six switches (some two-way)

Does anyone make such a beast, or should I just re-purpose a central heating wiring centre?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Grid switches in a suitable box?

Reply to
dennis

The switches aren't all in one place, this is just the "centre of mass" of the wiring. At the moment its 9 cables stuffed into three wagoboxes with 3x5way, 4x3way and 3x2way wagos, I could try the DIN carriers for the wagos in a suitable box I suppose, I could also mount the three LED drivers in there too, but at that size the boxes seem to get industrial and expensive ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

DIN rail box and WAGO DIN terminals - I did this for both lighting at heating.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Do they maker terminals which are n-way commoning blocks, or do you have to make lots of 'U links' like you would with chocblocks?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can buy connecting comb to interconnect multiple terminals. I don't know what Wago have, but Klippon (Weidmuller) used to do a comb that you could break individual teeth off, so you could connect, say, every third terminal.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

All the contacts an a Wago connector are commoned, So for you can join n conductors together in a n way Wago connector.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I know that 'standalone' wagos like the 222- series are commoned, but I Tim was talking about a different series for DIN mounting (2001- Topjob perhaps?)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Wago do commoning bars (6 way max IIRC but can be cut down of bought in smaller ways).

Those do not consume any cable ways so common for "free".

You can break off odd pins so you can common every 2nd or 3rd block.

The earth blocks common via the rail.

IME if you stick your neutrals together and common, earths via rail, nothing else needs commoning and the 3 way blocks can manage most configurations.

My advice is to go up a level to the 2002 series as the smaller ones feel (to me) rather flimsy. 2002 are pretty solid and as they will take upto 2.5mm2 cable are a good range to standardise on.

Couple of end blocks hold the assembly solid too.

IIRC I used these:

Tim Watts

Yes - another way is to use a random enclosure (even a double backbox and blacking plate) and a bunch of free terminals. Quite common and suits some applications.

I like DIN if it's a big and complicated wiring centre, just as it allows a clean and more easily documented layout - but if it's a few conductors, lever Wagos in regular box or Wiska box works well too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, I've got a rats nest of wagos in an adaptable box in the shed, but would like something neater in the garage ... and maybe the shed too ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, I found this earlier

8xL, 8xN, 8xE, plus ten 4 way strips of which I'd probably only need six, looks like it might be ok, wondering if it can handle 9 T&E cables though ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

That looks more like it, plenty of knockouts for cables and probably room to mount the LED drivers inside too ... thanks.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can get DIN mounts for the 222 series.

Reply to
Chris Green