Socket to 6 amp lighting circuit OK?

I have 1.5mm cable for a downstairs lighting circuit. Can I add a 3 pin socket to it above the door for use by christmas lights etc?

[g]
Reply to
George Miles

You could use one of those 3-round pin 5 amp sockets intended for table lamps etc. Less bulky than the 13A variety.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes, but preferably 2 amp or 5 amp.

Not considered good practice to fit a 13A socket to a lighting circuit.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Reply to
George Miles

All it needs is to be a labelled socket. However as the socket is above the door I doubt the cleaner will accidentally plug in the vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
ARW

So do Ikea table lamps, but it is not illegal to chop the 3 square pin plug off, fit a 5amp round pin plug and use it quite safely.

You could use a fused spur and leave the Xmas lights up all year, some people do.

Reply to
Andrew

but electrically safe as long as it has the correct breaker in the cu.

it may not be safe if the lights go out in the dark.

Reply to
invalid

Yup, but label the socket accordingly, or use a small lighting style socket if your lights don't have wall wart style supplies.

Reply to
John Rumm

A pity really as the dark is when you want them to work.

Reply to
ARW

Well, modern led ones seem to be powered by cheap and chearful wall warts, designed to be radio jammers. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's common to use round pin sockets for things like table lamps plugged in to a lighting circuit. Normally round pin 2 or 5 amp. If you used a 13 amp socket, some idiot might plug in a heater etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But don't many on here plug in their vacuum cleaner to the central light via a BC adaptor anyway? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

LED Xmas lights usually have the PS in the mains plug - a wall wart.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

that only worked with sensibly power machines - not with EU reg breaking monsters.

Reply to
charles

You could always connect it via a 3A FCU. That might stop it tripping the lighting MCB if overloaded, most times anyway.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

...fused at 1 to 3 amps

Reply to
therivermersey.com

Odd my mother managed with one like that long before the EU was even thought of. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The reason I got banned from doing B&Q kitchen electrics was because I installed a 2g socket (on a 32A ring circuit) above the kitchen cupboards as the customer wanted a socket there for a remote controlled radio to save on worktop space.

The B&Q inspector "You cannot put a socket up there they could plug anything in" Me "I bet that they cannot wait to get out the step ladders and plug the toaster in" He then poked me in the chest with his finger with every word of "I am telling you that you are not putting a socket there"

I then punched him.

Reply to
ARW

And the iron?

Reply to
ARW

But a /triple/ adapter was the key thing to have for the ironing - so you could see to do the ironing of an evening while watching the tele.

Robin reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Reply to
Robin