Can you wire a 12v transfomer into a lighting circuit?

Just a quick question, i'm intrested in installing LCD deck lights for my decking and they come with a 12v pack transformer etc and Junction box.

Now can this be wired into the lighting circuit i already have on my deck or will it need to be plugged in as pretty sure the picture i seen had a plug on the end.

this is some info they had on their website.

Each Pack contains the following:

2 x LED Fittings, each fitting is pre-wired with 5M Cable

1 x 12V Plug In Transformer prewired with 15M Cable

1 x 4 Way Junction Box - IP44

I know about Part P but just trying to work out options, as dont have socket mains on the decking.

Thank You

Could i get around the plug in method by changing the transfromer etc, any ideas be great

Reply to
htmark98

You can almost certainly connect it to a lighting circuit as long as the circuit has some spare capacity. The one vital missing bit of information is how much mains current does the transformer draw. [Or how many watts of power does it use, if this is easier to find?]

Reply to
Roger Mills

On 23 May 2006 11:43:36 -0700 someone who may be "htmark98" wrote this:-

If it is a transformer with a plug moulded onto the end then this needs to be plugged in somewhere. You could always replace the transformer with a suitable one you can wire in, though this will make things more expensive.

If the transformer has a mains cable with a plug on the end then you can cut this off (dispose of it properly to avoid children finding it and sticking it in a socket) and wire it into a suitable circuit.

Reply to
David Hansen

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Here is a picture of it on the website

loads spare on the circuit as only 2 lights on a 6amp mcb.

All i can find is it's a 12v transformer. Like i said havent got access to sockets outside and would like these to run with my decking post lights if i can and control them from outside.

Reply to
htmark98

Probabaly better off getting a new transformer and wiring it in, but in principle of course you can hard wire it to the lighting circuit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The transformer looks like the type designed to plug into a 13A socket. Does it have 3 pins on the back like a 13A plug? If so, it should really be plugged into a power outlet. You could, of course, wire a 13A trailing socket into a lighting circuit, and plug it into that - but that would be potentially unsafe, and probably illegal - because some fool might subsequently plug an electric kettle into it. If you *really* want to do that, tape it up so that it can't be unplugged, and hide it away in the roofspace or somewhere.

The alternative is to buy a different transformer which has a mains lead rather than a moulded plug on it.

Have you actually bought it? There is some inf on the transformer (which I can't read from the image you posted) which almost certainly specifies the input and output voltages and currents. What does it say?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hi Roger no havent bought it yet.

Have asked them the voltages and getting back to me.

How much would a new transformer cost me?

Thanks for your help Mark

Reply to
htmark98

Hi Here is the reply i got

Some kits have different transformers in.

All transformers are 230-240V Input All are 12V Output some are 200mA and some are 1250mA, pretty much what you do with them is totally upto you, but, for warranty purposes we can only say

4 per transformer.

----- I was looking at adding 5 lights per run but cannot do that it seams Thanks Mark

Reply to
htmark98

Best to see if the kit can be swopped for one with a 'hard wired' rather than plug in transformer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only a few quid from Maplins. But you'd need to know the spec, in order to buy an appropriate one.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Assuming that the 200 and 1250mA are the currents at 12v, the mains current required will be almost negligible.

How much current does each lamp require?

If you're going to buy a different transformer, getting one with an output of 2A (2000mA) or more should enable you to run all five lamps off it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Don't forget that if you are planning to have the transformer outdoor it must be waterproof to an appropriate degree. The same applies to any sockets you install outside - assuming you don't want to be resetting the RCD every time there's a light shower.

An alternative is to plug the transformer into a trailing cable socket and then enclose both of them in a suitable box.

John

Reply to
John White