Socket to 6 amp lighting circuit OK?

Type B & Type II MCBs are far faster than fuses.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

lol

Reply to
tabbypurr

I would not bet on it in a short circuit.

Reply to
ARW

Damn those posh houses with their triple adaptors and a TV:-)

Some of them also had a telephone.

Reply to
ARW

*We* had a Trimphone :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Showing your age, Dave. I just about remember those (I'm nearly 50)....

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Ditto. After a while birds used to imitate it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Maybe, but in most cases the mcb wins.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I went around and added up the wattage of the halogen fittings in the kitchen when my daughter moved into their new house..

1.8Kw. So a vac is nothing special.

That was four fittings each with nine 50W halogen bulbs in. I think switching to LED will be a cost saving.

It won't take long they were failing at about one a week or two.

Reply to
invalid

My house was built with a curtain fan heater above the kichen door (no other heating) and a 3 pin socket on the ring main next to it.

Reply to
Andrew

Only in the hall, on a special low table so you had to bend down in the gloom of a well-shaded 40 watt bulb to read the phone book. :-)

Reply to
Andrew

"their" or "her" new house:-)

Buy her the LEDs (that is what good Dad's do) but get her (or her partner) to fit them.

I would recommend siting on a chair whilst watching them change the lamps.

Reply to
ARW

Neighbour had a new kitchen fitted by Magnet 20 years ago. These houses have blockwork partition walls up and down stairs constructed with 3 inch blocks made of compressed straw and cement, then sand/cement rendered to give a 4 inch total width.

Magnet fitter put a fused spur under the worktop for the builtin fridge and drilled right through the wall into the lounge while cutting out a recess for the backbox.

Reply to
Andrew

Ah, but directory enquiries were free then.

Just as well as it took them quite a while to look up a number

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Which is why I have three 6" leads with a 5A plug on one end and a 13A socket on the other. They live in the shed for most of the year and only come out when the Christmas lights do

It's not foolproof, but it does stop someone absentmindedly plugging a hair dryer into the lighting circuit for most of the year and when they are actually in use, no-one will plug something in without it prompting them to think about it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

nah, I am buying the range cooker not the LEDs.

Reply to
invalid

That would be a lot for a 6A circuit, which the OP says he has.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It was on a 6A circuit. Did I mention there were another 12 50W halogens in the living room on the same circuit and I think the six on the landing may also be on the same one but I haven't checked.

Someone obviously like halogen lamps and had money to burn.

Most were on dimmers too which would shorten their llfe a lot and not save much energy. It does make fitting LEDs more difficult though as it restricts choice.

You can tell they were unreliable, there was a box of 24 spare bulbs in a cupboard.

Reply to
invalid

My wife's grandmother used to in the 1970s

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Sound like B&Q bulbs. Get decent ones from TLC in the future. They last the quoted life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)