Need your help to glue panels of 6 panel door for stain glass installation.

I am installing a rectangular (long side running vertically) stain glass in an interior 6 panel door. I want to position the glass in the upper portion of the door. The rectangle will cut into the inside lower corners of the top door panels and the inside upper corners of the middle door panels. In addition, the upper door cross, holding these sections of the panels will also be removed.

I am building a router jig to aid in the cut. I would like to glue all of the panels in place before I cut out the rectangle, so the panels don't shift position. I don't want to take the door apart. I was thinking that one of the injected chair glues might be the perfect solution.

I need your help and suggestions, Thanks

Reply to
S. Stern

I am not completely clear if you are building a new door or installing the glass into a complete door that you want to add the glass. I am also not clear on your woodworking experience, and more information would help with the best answer.

If you are making the door you probably don't want to glue any of the wood panels as they are usually free floating. I do agree that you don't want anything moving while you size the opening for the glass but you can clamp everything tight.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I am working on an existing interior 6 panel door. I think clamping everything down while I route the rectangular cutout would be a major undertaking in it's own right.

Reply to
S. Stern

I am not sure why you think that clamping something together would be a major undertaking. Do you do a lot of woodworking?

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I'm sorry, but it really sounds like you don't know what you are getting into. The "upper door cross" that you want to remove is an integral part of the skeleton of the door. The panels, that you want to clamp and route into, are floating "skins" that are held in place by the vertical stiles and horizontal rails that form the actual structure of the door. The panels are NOT glued in place for very good reasons. An appropriate design would have your stained glass panel sized to fit between the stiles and rails of a door - essentially replacing what is currently a wood panel. Not knowing any actual dimensions, I'm guessing that a complete rebuild of the door, with stiles and rails sized to fit to and frame your stained glass piece, is in order... And all this is assuming that you really have a solid wood frame and panel door, and not something that just looks like one...

Reply to
JeffB

Try drywall, mud and sand seams,

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

Thanks for your information and comments. It was helpful.

Reply to
S. Stern

Ooooops, sorry, wrong thread. Pls ignore.

Reply to
Gooey TARBALLS

I was in the Stained Glass business for seven years and took numerous cross and bible doors, and cut out the cross with a router. It makes a nice pocket for stained glass panels. the remaining cross pieces just pull out of the surround stiles. They are not glued.

Walter H. Klaus

Reply to
Walter H. Klaus