Glass Panel Design - Size and Retention

I am laying out a display/curio cabinet that will use 1/4" bevel glass in the front doors and each end. The glazed part of the end panels will be 10" x 44". I plan to use a single pane of the 1/4" glass (vs upper and lower panes). Does anyone see a strength issue with this long, narrow pane? I am trying to maximize visibility.

Also, most manufactured furniture uses rubber or plastic extrusion to secure the glass into the door. The extrusion fits into a groove milled into the door frame. Most local glass shops use silicon or clips. Does anyone have a source for the extruded retaining strip? I was surprised that Rockler and other usual sources offer the router bit but not the retainer strip itself.

ps - the door panels are much wider - about 15" each.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Ahh, but Rockler does offer a plastic panel retaining strip. In their latest catalogue, pg. 44. Or check the index for "Glass door hardware". I see no strength issue with 1/4 inch glass at all, unless you mean the doorframe/panel itself. Tom

Reply to
tom

Ahh, but Rockler does offer a plastic >panel retaining strip. In their latest catalogue, pg. 44. Or check the index for "Glass door >hardware". I see no strength issue with 1/4 inch glass at all, unless you mean the doorframe/panel >itself. Tom

Thanks. I ordered their latest catalogue a week or so ago and couldn't find it on their site. I just modified my search and found it.

I was a little concerned about the glass panel itself being a little long and narrow. As I think about it many floor clocks use this kind of glass without problem.

Thanks again RonB

Reply to
RonB

You won't have a problem since the glass will be supported all around in the rabbet. Instead of putting in a piece of plastic for the retainer, I'd opt for a simple matching wood small 1/4-round or chamfered trim strip - but then again, I'm pretty old-school.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I've gotten mine from Lee Valley in 25ft rolls, a sort of matte finish clear vinyl that looks good when installed. Rockler and Woodcraft carry panel retaining strips as well, but I did not like the looks, nor did I like their prices. They wanted as much for 10ft strips as LV wanted for 25ft.

Reply to
Larry Kraus