Circlip retention?

I've just bought an astronomical tripod which uses "E" shaped circlips to retain a spring and a washer around the telescope mounting bolts. There appears to be a properly cut groove in the bolt to take the circlip, but I'm having difficulty getting the circlip to stay in place. If I loose it and the spring, washer combo (out in a dark field at night!), I'll lose quite a bit of functionality, and as it uses USA thread sizes, I'm keen to secure said circlip in place. Have thought of a dab of Superglue, or winding some tinned copper wire around thread adjacent to circlip and soldering copper wire in place.

Any other ideas please

Thanks

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

Is it not staying in its groove because it's too big and won't snap into place?

If that's the case, can't you find another circlip which is a bit smaller, and *will* stay in place. Circlips are made in all sorts of shapes and sizes - so I image that there must be something suitable out there somewhere if you look in the right place.

For example, a quick Google search brought up

this any good?

Reply to
Set Square

Malcolm Stewart wrote on Sunday (25/01/2004) :

If the circlip's groove is too shallow, then file it a bit deeper with a needle file. If the circlip is simply loose, then you should be able to tighten it by squeezing the ends together.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

functionality,

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Harry Bloomfield retched Circlip retention? onto my recliner:

No wonder your wife always looks so happy.

Reply to
Combine Harvesters are EVil

Get your money back, have them fix it or explain what you are doing wrong.

Reply to
Michael McNeil