Euro Electrics

Not much, actually (and yes I do know who mine is, and who mine was in my previous constituency). The Commission is the main mover of legislative/regulatory proposals; the MEPs assent in most cases, when they don't there's the glorious co-decision procedure.

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Congrats. You actually will have a few for your area - I assume you mean your nearest one.

Yes - they control things and set up the committees which report back to them. But MEPs are on those committees as well as permanent staff, national reps and others. If you have a specific intesest in one committee and none of your local MEPS is on it they will refer you to one who is.

They reject quite a bit and as you say that's where it gets a little perverse - mostly due to the UK I should add ;-)

But actually I would say an MEP can often influence some matters more than an MP can in our parliament, especially for business matters, whereas obviously if you've a local planning dispute your MP is the right person.

Reply to
Mike

Fair and accurate. I purchased a "Lava Lamp" at the Science Museum on Sunday and was surprised to find that it was fitted with a continental two pin plug, which then had to plug into the special(supplied) 13A plug for the UK market! I've never seen a 13A plug which accepted a euro two pin in the flex connection before. I think the flex clamp retained the cable if you wished.

I guess the rules say that a connector must be fitted, but not which type!! The sooner we get out of Europe the better.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Often the signals *are* rubbish. Too many SCART leads are wired using singles in an overall screen rather than multicore co-ax...

...even the gold ones.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

As far as I can tell, yes. Truth be told, most of that decking area was covered with a huge "Croeso" tent and several smaller exhibitor tents, but the parts on show seemed fairly structurally sound, and the glass in the Millennium Centre and nearby shops & cafes was in good nick.

The Pierhead building looked a bit the worse for wear though - they seem to be putting some heavy-duty scaffolding around it for some reason.

Given that several tens of thousands of people visited during last week (Urdd Eisteddfod) I suspect *someone* would have noticed if there was still any sign of the rift about.

Martin Angove

Not really SCART then. Many of the £12ish ones are like this.

I have some £2.99 ones that use proper coax and screened audio.. they are very good.

Reply to
dennis

I dont agree with this, a ring circuit is fundamentally less safe than a radial. For example, a 32A domestic ring main wired in 2.5 T+E supplying 4 socket outlets. In each of the sockets there is a load plugged in drawing 8A. This totals 32A being drawn from the supply and no more than 16A in any part of the ring. Imagine now, a break in the ring occurs at either end between the socket and the breaker. This would result in the same 32A being drawn but at the opposite end to the break, the cable would be carrying the full 32A and hence beyond its capacity. The breaker would hold out for evermore in this situation. In a radial circuit this cannot happen, a break in the radial will only stop some of the sockets working.

Reply to
Ellis Greensitt

You can buy these from CPC. I got two last week. It's basically a 13A plugtop with a hinged cover. Insert the 2 pin plug into the housiing and screw the cover shut. They also do versions with non-reversible screws.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No - just riding the gravy train. Turkeys rarely vote for Christmas.

To claim expenses maybe, nothing else.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Care to describe it more fully? By the way - who holds the patent on the MCB's we will all have to have several hundred of?

Reply to
Peter Parry

That's a problem with the cable or those that specify it rather than the connector itself. SCART cable with RGB and composite all in co-ax is readily available. Although I doubt singles would cause any problems with the video over the usual 1 metre or so. After all, inside the set the video won't be carried on co-ax but on the PCB.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I see you're a fully paid up Daily Mail reader.

Reply to
Mike

Even some of the cheap (pound-type) shops sell "latching" Peritel connectors. I've never tried any of them, though. I'm not sure what they latch to :-)

When I had a portable-ish TV on a swivel turntable I used to occasionally lose sound, for example, due to a displaced Peritel lead, but haven't had any such problems for ages.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Sod that. IME adaptors are a source of problems - chop the plug off and fit a proper 13A plug (or whatever fits your sockets).

Hear hear.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I thought that the standard merely referred to the physical layout of the plug (& socket)? I didn't realise it also specified cables. I tend to make up my own cables anyway, darned fiddly terminals and usually nowhere to solder your outer screen :-(

Oh yes, and while we're at it, SCART really missed the S-video boat, didn't it. You can have composite and RGB on one connector, but not s-video and RGB because the Y-component needs to use the pins for R...

Still, it's a darned sight more convenient than the alternative; multiple phonos etc.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

We have done this to death elsewhere in theis thread...

However in case you missed it:

What about in the more likely situation of there being a lose screw on a socket resulting in a high resistance connection in the circuit, or in the case of a broken CPC (again more likely than broken phase or return), which is safer then?

Reply to
John Rumm

I would expect the PCB to have guard tracks, etc. to reduce crosstalk, etc. A cable with an overall screen will perform much worse.

Reply to
dennis

That's because it was designed long before S-Video arrived. Or widescreen. But I can't think of a reason why you'd want both RGB and S-Video at once?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm still not convinced, though. With very short runs these things often don't seem to matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We are a manufacturer specialized in producing telecommunication&network accessories in China, such as Disconnection Module, connection Module,110 Wiring Block, FT Module, Drop wire connection Module, Cable Management, Protection Magazine, Patch Cord, Insertion Tool, Face Plate, Fiber optic connection Module, Distribution boxes, MDF blocks and networks cabling product, ect. Sincerely want to set up business relationship with you! We provide all our products with high quality but low price. See more details in our website: http:// longnantx.en.alibaba.com

Do not hesitate to ask me anything you want to know! Best wishes!

Reply to
ebaby88888