Euro Electrics

Don't tend to use many extension leads. Re-wired the place (17th century farmhouse) almost first thing (pre Part P) as the existing wiring was so dangerous so there tends to be a socket where needed.

But impedance is high. Easy to notice dimming of the lights by turning something heavy duty on.

Reply to
Mike

Justification was the appaling wiring within some member states. And that was before the Eastern bloc countries joined :-)

I actually arrived in Malta recently without thinking about it and it was only because the price of some perfume was displayed on a big advert that I remembered they hadn't joined the Euro yet and had to make quick visit to Bureau de Change. But the next day I was told they would be joining ASAP.

Reply to
Mike

Problem is the output temp from most heat pumps is far lower than normal central heating so you have to use the really expensive multi-compressor systems. Most heat pump systems expect acres of rads or underfloor heating running at a warm rather than hot temp.

Reply to
Mike

Then it applies to any type of wiring - my point.

Shoddy workmanship is the cause of near all household wiring problems. Not ring mains versus radial circuits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Choice are coal, nuclear or wave/wind. Personally I'd go for the second with a bit of the third.

Reply to
Mike

Never thought of Dewalt as 'not up to the job'.

ridiculous.

Only every light circuit.

The growth in uses such as this is a major change since 1994 when the proposals were made. It will need to be discussed in detail when the harmonisation group starts up again and see if there are better proposals.

But I expect the first objective will still be standardisation of the plug/socket right across Europe.

In any case for the UK it would be easy to put MCDs on each wall socket as our wallplates are so big so perhaps we'll end up with something like you first described - who knows ? Let's just wait and see.

Reply to
Mike

Please stop being stupid. The Europlug will be every bit as safe as the current UK plug/socket.

Now as the original poster requested, I've put forward some of the thoughts from the EU back in the mid 90s thanks to knowing somebody there.

You've also made your point quite strongly.

Personally I've got better things to do than argue with you on a subject which isn't even my area of interest so let's just wait until the EU electrical harmonisation group is reformed and see what they propose this time. I am sure there will be adequate forums for you to make your feelings known at that time.

Reply to
Mike

Internal power supplies are becoming rarer as equipment with them in requires full safety approval to ever tightening standards so expect to see more rather than less wall-warts. Personally I think that's a bad thing and far prefer your solution as well but having seen the cost of approvals I understand why low/mid volume manufacturers choose to go this way.

Reply to
Mike

They sound like famous last words.

Reply to
dennis

I was expecting him to have fridge/freezer and so on on a non-RCD circuit and all the sockets above the worksurface on one for safety.

But apparently not.

Reply to
Mike

The total may well be 5% less but the power disipated in the cable is near double what it was. The cable gets hotter and its resistance goes up more. Even more power wasted in the cable.

It is only a sustainable current if the starting conditions are correct. In the above example the cable will probably overheat.

So it takes longer to melt... it still would. Thermal mass is not relevent to long time scales (more than a few seconds for cables?).

Why? Do straws cool the cable better?

A thermosetting cable may work but it would still get rather hot. The only real solutions for very good insulation around cables are to increase the cable size so that the cable can conduct the heat away or find some other way to remove the heat.

Reply to
dennis

That is dangerous talk these days... even if it is probably the best solution. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

I'm not sure why you seem to consider every low current appliance requires its own circuit, but not every light which might well take more current? And have a much less safe connector than any socket ever invented?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Diversity isn't a problem in most of the supply industry. They protect the cables with breakers so they can't overload.

It doesn't work correctly on a ring main as the cable is below the rating of the fuse. It is not completely protected and is one of the few areas where the IEE actually recommend using a cable size with a smaller current capacity than the protection element.

Reply to
dennis

Doubt if it will be Ireland. Far too many blue flags on building sites in Dublin. Perhaps when they're all finished ;-)

Reply to
Mike

This thread has actually answered my question in a way - but more by not answering it IYSWIM. Previous threads have hinted that there were some distinct advantages with some Euro wiring schemes over the uk ones.

Under analysis however I am not now convinced that is so. Yes there are some differences, the benefits are arguable either way in some cases. By an large it seems the biggest differences are not between the best examples (of which I feel the UK must be one), but between the best and worst of which there seems to be plenty.

Reply to
John Rumm

Spend much time wiring space shuttles do you?

Hot is not a problem. Cables are designed and specified with the understanding that they will get hot. It is this temperature budget that dictates the current carrying capacity of the cable.

PVC cables are rated such that they will operate at upto 70 degrees C without damage. XLPE goes to 90.

Huh?

Reply to
John Rumm

Could make a difference on induction motor tools since they will often just end up sucking more current if forced to work on a lower voltage...

Have you measured the impedance of the supply?

(I found a clamp meter round the meter tails and 3kW kettle did the job nicely ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

might be a good application for a thermal store of some description. You could accumulate the bulk low temp heat from the heat pump and then just do the final temporing with the conventional electric boiler

Reply to
John Rumm

You are the one being stupid - the mindless stupidity of the european functionary where individuals count for nothing and the state is all.

The silly europlug will have to be cut off and a real plug put on to fit it into existing sockets. That will reinstate a known problem and lead to deaths. The process of "harmonisation" will kill people. Not many, and from the eurocrats point of view, no-one of any importance but they will still die.

And you really think anyone will listen when the siren song of "harmonisation" and a pocket full of bribes is singing?

Reply to
Peter Parry