Euro Electrics

Erm... single SCART DVD player (for e.g.) sending video to tv via RGB and vcr / remote tv via s-vid? TBH it's never been a problem for me either.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

But the source can't output both RGB and S Video at the same time via one SCART. I'd say it's not unreasonable that if you want this facility you'd get a device with two outputs - same as with everything else.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Erm... isn't that what I said? I said "you can't get RGB and S-video at the same time on the same SCART". You said "why would you want RGB and S-video at once?" and I gave a possible reason. You said "but you can't do that on one SCART" :-)

The issue of two outputs is a different one. My (SVHS) video recorder accepts either composite or s-video on either of its two SCARTS (IIRC) and has a toggle switch to enable s-video output on the one SCART which has outputs.

The one time when this *has* been an issue for me was in the days when I had a Panasonic OnDigital box. The "TV" scart could output composite or S-video or RGB (determined by a menu option). The "VCR" scart only output composite. In other words I couldn't connect my VCR by s-video

*and* have the telly connected by RGB at the same time.

A related problem was that in timer-recording, the box blanked out the RGB signals (so you couldn't check it had turned on at the right time, other than by listening to the audio) but didn't blank composite or (if enabled) s-video. It was a convoluted, but not as rare as you might think, combination of circumstances which caused that to be a big PITA.

Anyway, for now I'm quite happy with SCART generally. A bit of careful planning with the making-up of my own leads, and a good time is had by all. Except my dad whose (ageing) Panasonic (TX21V1) has big problems interpreting such SCART "standards" as pin 8 and refuses to let you watch ordinary telly if the DTT box plugged into AV1 is powered up.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Have you thought about adding a forum to your website?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sorry to be thick, but what has this got to do with a SCART?

Of course you might want all sorts of inputs/outputs from a device - but from one socket?

Yes?

But that's a 'fault' of the box - nothing to do with the connector.

Plenty of those. The makers dream them up just to annoy. Currys sold a cheap Thompsom Freeview box with a SCART but only composite output.

Some time ago, I ran a fully populated SCART cable from the OnDodgy box in the living room to the TV in the kitchen - a Panasonic with an RGB input. And built an RGB DA. Only to find the Panasonic didn't support widescreen switching via the SCART - although it would via the remote.

I dislike the SCART as being a cheap and nasty connector. And that it's been bodged to accept newer standards than it was designed for. But makers of TV products even more for penny pinching on their designs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the real world, one has a plug (complete with its top) and a socket, (the part on the wall. That makes the required matching pair. The term "plug top" is just ridiculous.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

The problem is crosstalk between the incoming feed and the outgoing feed from the still active tuner. Most obvious symptom is a faint image in the background of whatever the tuner was last set to.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Yes it is. Money is harder to come by or valuations not as good as a few years ago, although arguably they were unrealistically high then

Exactly.

It really does depend on the kind of VC and how they want to organise their portfolio. It's quite typical to have a mix of medium and long term investments.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Some are quite cute and only install WLAN in the bar area. so you have poor hapless individuals sitting with their notebooks and supping.

Well... depends where you go...

This would assume synchronised economies with similar objectives, and as he have just seen, this ain't the case.

Reply to
Andy Hall

All the time. You can move around perfectly OK in any of the Nordic countries without cash.

In most cities the taxis have satnav based positioning and job providing systems so that the drivers can optimise where they go. Credit card processing is included, and most drivers are expecting payment by card.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Heathrow, Manchester, Edinburgh,.... most German airports, all Nordic airports.... Madrid, Barcelona,... Basel, Zurich..... Milan, Amsterdam. Just a few I've been through in the past couple of months.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nope.

Anyway... Cisco is technology agnostic (or so they say :-) )

Reply to
Andy Hall

They tried that in Glasgow.

Unfortunately the system didn't realise taxis aren't amphibious and can't swim across the Clyde.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I would have thought airport taxi ranks would attract taxis with CC facilities - lots of people arriving without local currency, not knowing their way about, and having expense accounts to pay the fare.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ho-ho !

Reply to
Mike

Well Manchester is my home airport and I've never seen a single cab there with one. Most refuse cheques as well - and won't take Euros.

And getting the cabbie to radio your card number to base doesn't protect you from fraud abroad so I would never do that.

But I'll keep a better lookout from now on - Edinburgh next week so I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Mike

Yeah - but they expect all the electronic ones to be of the medium (or even short) type :-( One came in today looking for exit in under three years.

Reply to
Mike

Oh and I thought it was just they were alcoholic salesmen :-)

Reply to
Mike

There's a good bus service from the airport to Haymarket and Waverley stations and St Andrews Sq bus station. Cheaper than a taxi.

The main taxi firms are Central Radio Taxis (360 taxis) 0131 229 2468 City Cabs (300) 0131 228 1211 Computer Cab (270) 0131 272 8000

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , Mike writes

The cab fraternity isn't one for the rapid uptake of new tech!. And it costs, and they don't see investment as a good thing...

Well that costs nothing apart from operator time so thats whey it gets done.

It can be done in the UK several companies supply, but its pricey......

Reply to
tony sayer