Christmas killed off; By on-line shopping?

<snip>

Oooerr.

You get strange ones where there is something like 'Somewhere Place', a row of houses that sit on an existing road with the other houses continuing normally either side of it.

Main road number 2, 4, 6 , 8 <Something Place>, 10, 12, 14 etc.

When you look back you find there was a building there that occupied the same space as the 'Place' houses but accessed from a different direction, hence why there wasn't a missing number from the Main Road sequence.

In the same way they might put a block of flats where there was previously a single house and that might become 'Grove house, 105 High street' and each flat just numbered accordingly. An address then being Flat 4, Grove House, 105 High Street' or Flat 4, 105 High Street' etc.

I wonder what the limits on adding a letter suffix when a house is turned into sub dwellings, Like what was '23 The Road' now 21a and 21b The Road? I mean, anyone ever seen it go past b?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Computerised address entry often can't cope with flat numbers which are duplicated in a nearby block if they are the same postcode. And even if they aren't letters can be misdelivered.

Then the recipient "helpfully" puts, "Not known at this address," and the sender thinks you don't live at the stated address any more.

Reply to
Max Demian

Well I /thought/ about sending you a present; and it's the thought that counts.

Reply to
Max Demian

You're not in a good position to talk about trying (vainly) to pressure people into joining in with your "habit".

(And "no one" means "no humans" BTW.)

Reply to
Max Demian

People who devise names for residential streets lack imagination. They think of a name and append Road, Street, Avenue, Mews, Crescent, Close &c. to it, regardless of the nature of the road.

(Avenue is basically from the French "à venue" meaning the driveway approaching a big house, often lined with trees both sides, which is what it is /supposed/ to mean in street names.)

Reply to
Max Demian

I lived in a town with a street called 'Boulevard'. Just that.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Kevin the Carrot ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Here in Chippenham (The Wiltshire one and not t'other) (England) there are a large number of Meads and Closes which are named from the historical fields and enclosures in which they are built.

Reply to
gareth evans

think yourself lucky

I got Father Christmas handkerchiefs

Reply to
tim...

anyhow

Coming up to the Christmas period I just deferred a couple of purchases that I would have gone out and bought for myself, to put on my Xmas list

Just needs to be a long term need and not something that you need today

Reply to
tim...

I thought they were cheating with perspective to exaggerate the size

until he picked it up

Geeeeeeeze

Reply to
tim...
<snip>

Well, other than me not 'doing Xmyth' isn't going to affect anyone, there are no victims, unlike killing and exploiting animals etc.

Only to you. To many, a cow isn't an it it's a one.

But no, I understand that you don't care about animals and therefore I'm not sure why you bother to try to join in?

It would be like you piping up during the second world war in support of the German gas chambers.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Which "many"? "There's no-one in the field." "Oh yes there is, there are several cows." Who would say that?

Reply to
Max Demian

T r o l l would, obvs, just as he's being fitted with the white coat with the extra long sleeves.

Reply to
Tim Streater

All the vegans.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

But not to be sneezed at, though!

Reply to
gareth evans

Sneezing and nose blowing are still allowed, even in public. Fortunately I'm not susceptible to coughing.

Reply to
Max Demian

It's not the cough that carries you off ...

... It's the coffin they carry you off in.

Reply to
gareth evans

the latter is difficult when wearing a mask

Reply to
charles

Perhaps a variation on the only way to get your own back is to piss into the wind?

Reply to
gareth evans