Christmas Shopping Money Saving Tip

Hi all,

I've decided to say "bollocks to Xmas" this year by buying no presents for no one. I might not even send any cards out, either. With the money I thereby save, I plan to treat myself to a thoroughly well-deserved month long trip to Australia where I shall be sunning myself far away from the family and my greedy, grasping, spendthrift wife, offspring, nephews, nieces & whatnot. Fuck 'em all. Just thought I'd share that little seasonal tip with you.

Merry Xmas,

cd.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Ask that nice wodney fella to put you up and you'll save even more.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I bought all my cards and presents when they were reduced on 3rd January.

Apart from the chocolates which were bought in August and have been kept in a cool dry place (best before end Dec 2015).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

What has CD done to deserve that?

Reply to
bert

No chance! "Rod Speed" (his usual monicker, whoever he really is) is unique in being the only entry in my killfile. It's improved the atmosphere here immeasurably; should have done it ages ago. :-D

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Excellent. Enjoy.

Reply to
Huge

Funnily enough, he seems to have discovered a new 'playground' in comp.misc just this afternoon. The Killfile function in Pan seems to work on a group by group basis so it was a bit of a surprise to see *actual* postings from him rather than merely his ghostly presence in other poster's replies.

Knowing the character of the contributors in comp.misc, I don't expect to see much, if any, of his ghostly presence for more than a day or two in that NG. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Been there since LONG before you ever showed up anywhere, thanks.

Reply to
78lp

Good lad.

That's the way to do it. ;-)

Well, I can't say I've ever spent that much on Xmyth to have a holiday in Aus instead but I get the idea. ;-)

It's good to see someone else standing up for themselves against what has become (in the main and for many) just a massive marketing opportunity.

We (and I mean the Mrs and I) haven't sent an Xmyth card for maybe 15

- 20 years now ... and only give presents that we may well have given about that time in any case (and give them all year round in any case).

Ok, I'll buy you something for a tenner (if you get me something for a tenner). *Really?*

We aren't religious, don't have any kids about and have got pretty well everything we need and very few people would know what else we wanted in any case.

You have to be quite strong to resist the flock though ... like not going to things you don't want to ... like parties, weddings, funerals and the like.

Real mates and good family understand.

But it really takes away all the stress, all the fights ... not having to bother with trees and decorations and the like. We are adults FFS and see though the whole sham (as it is in most part today). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. We only get sent a couple of Xmyth cards now (that go straight in the bin). One from an otherwise very reasonable neighbour (in spite of us requesting he doesn't so I think he does it as a joke) and the local Kebab shop. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

What a set of miserable misanthropic mardy old bastards you are!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I shouldn't bother with Oz. It is not the paradise depicted in the propaganda. Full of poisonous insects/reptiles and worst of all, the flies. There is no architecture worth seeing. The landscape is mostly boring and monotonous. The wildlife is interesting if you're into that sort of thing.

There are better, cheaper places not as far away.

Reply to
harry

Sad bastards is the words you seek. I only buy small presents for wife & neighbour. Plus for someone in America.

Anything we want, we go out and buy. Same with holidays. So, no call for expensive gifts. Just a little surprise.

Reply to
harry

Heil Scrooge!

Reply to
harry

In message , Bill Wright writes

Well, I wouldn't put it quite like that, but agree anyway :-)

We *enjoy* Christmas in this house. Only three of us, so turkey is either crown or rolled breast, and we pull crackers [1] at every evening meal from 25/12 to 01/01, we put gifts under the real tree [2], we hang stockings, a few decorations including those made by child when he was at primary school etc. We sit in front of a real fire and play music, anything from Kings College to The Pogues [3], supping beer/wine/port whatever. We even enjoy a cheesy old film or two at Christmas.

[1] Wifey buys mega cheap ones just after Christmas every year [2] Converted to firewood later [3] Wifey's favourite
Reply to
News

Blimey - how much does your Xmas spend normally cost??

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have "ignore subthread" set in my Thunderbird filter on him so I don't see the replies either :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

You forgot to add "Bah humbug"! :-)

Reply to
pamela

Sounds like our Xmyth. Except we don't have turkey.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Bill Wright writes

Yes. Don't start me on Halloween..