Christmas Shopping Money Saving Tip

I don't mind Xmas itself. We have a fairly large party (of adults) and everyone mucks in. So no one is worked off their feet or gets in a panic.

Just the silly idea of giving - and expecting to receive - presents and cards. Can't remember when last I got a present (as an adult) and was delighted with it. And I'm willing to bet the same applied to those I gave too. Kids are different - they will generally hint ;-) at what they want. Although most have got everything already these days anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One Valentine's Day, years ago, a girl I was seeing at the time sent me flowers. That was the first and last time I've ever been sent flowers. I was delighted :-)

Reply to
News

I had a colleague who retired early on ill health grounds. He wasn't well enough to attend his farewell party.

Reply to
charles

You really are a miserable, immoral and selfish bastard. Sometimes it's necessary to put oneself out to make others happy.

Reply to
harry

That's my rule - chocolate or beer :)

Or maybe a meal down the pub/curry house.

I actually have to go to a somewhat fancier bistro than I normally would bother with tonight - it's a bit stressful as I normally dress like a tramp and now I have to make an effort. Which involved buying new trousers and shoes as my wardrobe is 100% style free and I don't even own a suit (and no I haven't worn a suit for at least 10 years, not once, not for job interviews nor funerals),

In fact that reminds me - my specify in my will that suits are forbidden at my funeral. I think I'll put a sum aside for a piss up down the nearest decent pub. Now *that's* a funeral...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Good seasonal spirit at least then. ;-)

And it can be an issue. We all had an agreement where we didn't buy each other presents. Then her mum would give me a pack of Special Brew and / or a chocolate orange. This then left me in the awkward position of not having a present to give her in return. ;-(

Without sounding too ungrateful I can't remember getting that many presents as a child that I was that delighted with.

One year I was asked what I would 'like' and I replied 'a radio controlled boat'. Xmyth day came and I undid the larger presents and it was a plywood model boat kit, a transmitter and receiver kit and an Enya 35 marine engine. I built the radio gear up quite quickly but it never really worked very well. The boat itself (a Sea Commander) took a couple of years to finish and finally ran with a new McGregor 1+1 Radio gear.

Know doubt ... which is how some end up with petrol station flowers. ;-)

Well, it seems they aren't against some more of the same or something slightly different.

A little while ago we bought some new handlebars for our daughters new_to_her Suzuki GSF600 ('Bandit', motorcycle) because she was rebuilding it and that was what she needed. ;-)

It always amazed me when people bought bikes and skates for their kids at Xmyth then told them the couldn't go out with them because it was cold / raining. We would buy such things for out kids in the spring. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thanks.

I wonder why? I mean, if you like it why not have it more often? FWIW, we bought some Turkey today for me to put in a stir fry.

Understood.

Not daft, just not something that everyone considers the same way. But then I'm not easily entertained, along with the Mrs.

It's more the principal than the cost (whatever the cost). I wonder if they would be made available if there wasn't a profit to be made supplying them? Like, how much of the whole tree thing is just more marketing and how much is 'tradition' (all be that a fairly recent one and nothing directly to do with little baby Jesus etc).

Cool. ;-)

And whilst that sounds like it could have been a good / shared family experience, was it? I could possibly imagine that with say the Star Wars series but again, I prefer to watch things like that in silence so it's not a real 'sharing' experience (well, apart from you all being there together etc). Thank goodness for the PVR. ;-)

Nice to have the room. ;-(

Ok. Just watch out for the spitting flames ... ;-(

Ok.

No, not to me anyway.

I bet.

Of course. Very few have complained about having a break at any time of the year. ;-)

Fair enough. 'Luckily' for us our daughter (now 25) has been happy to do whatever she wanted for herself and often just in her room. Now she's a tree surgeon and really wouldn't want a tree in her room. ;-)

Spooky. ;-)

Reasonable answer.

Yes, I'd set fire to cats as well (no I wouldn't, but they don't seem to understand I'm really a dog man and dump themselves on my lap anyway).

Handy.

Yeah, I bet, especially considering that 'bulk cards' seem limited to Xmas atm.

Well, there are levels of course.

Ok.

Hmmmm, c a k e.

Right, time to do the Turkey stir fry. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

+1

Damn. When you say 'have to' though?

Same here and I feel your pain.

Feck, that is serious?

Snap. I generally wear whatever I can find that is cheap, practical and actually fits me. Being 6'2" and, arms and legs like a gibbon and an 18" neck, isn't always that easy. ;-(

Same here and I've not gone to either either. ;-)

Agreed, brilliant. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Really? Oh the irony (especially when it comes to selfishness!).

Yes, *sometimes* possibly, not necessarily all the time and on all occasions.

See, if you think going against your will or preference simply to placate the desires of someone else is *always* the correct or the right thing to do then you are even more deluded than I previously thought (and you can imagine how bad that was)! ;-)

Maybe you inability to understand such things is how you seem perfectly happy to rob others (often less well of than you) and be perfectly happy?

I think you *define* the word selfish because at least not doing something that someone else might like isn't anything like your stealing from them!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[snippage]

"Principle". You're welcome.

[Lots more snippage]
Reply to
Huge

Whilst I'm sure you are trying to help and educate, there is little chance of me remembering the difference, even if I just get close to either of the spellings if the spell checker offers me the contextually incorrect one. ;-(

I have to look at both spellings quite a few times before I can spot any difference.

At least with the spell checker there is a chance you will see a word that resembles what I might be trying to say. My numerical dyslexia has no such help and that can lead to all sorts of issues.

It could also be down to my short term memory. If I go outside to note the registration number of one of our vehicles, there is little chance I'll be able to repeat it accurately by the time I'm back inside. This is especially so if I'm interrupted on the way back.

Now, I can take something to pieces and I can put it back together some years later and it's was as if I took it to bits the day before. Or drive somewhere once using the GPS and not need it thereafter.

I'm sure it is in part to do with how we can see / visualise things differently.

I saw something on TV recently where they were showing how some people simply couldn't visualise something from a description.

I have explained to the Mrs several times exactly why I needed to get a keyway broach and 19mm o/d insert and that I needed those to be able to fit a belt pulley onto a new motor for an old floor standing pillar drill I'm refurbishing ... but even as she was helping me with the broach on the hydraulic press, she had no idea what it was all for.

The relationship between words (and / or numbers) and people seem to be more complex than some may think. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I do the same on threads that become polluted by trolls (usually arguing amongst themselves) as well as resurrected threads due to some posters' news clients making subtle alterations to the original sub thread name.

Brian Gaff's news client is one of the notable 'renamers'. I'm using Pan which may simply lack the 'smarts' of other news clients more capable of dealing with this issue (the last time I pointed this out, I appeared to be the only one complaining).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Actually, no. I'm (not with any malice) taking the mick.

Reply to
Huge

Ah, right. Unfortunately, because of my word blindness and apparent lack of focus / priority with spellings because of such, your little pop whooshed me. ;-)

I see the words and as long as I understand the meaning in context, I'd rarely spot how the words were spelled (and therefore that they weren't the correct spellings).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Johnny B Good put finger to keyboard:

Pan's filter is much more configurable than the GUI allows. Unfortunately it's not documented, other than the following snippet:

"The scoring file is located at ~/.pan2/Scoring. Advanced users might want to edit this file directly with a text editor to create advanced scoring rules that are difficult or impossible to construct from the New Scoring Rule dialog. The format of the scoring rules is similar to the application slrn, but be aware that not all slrn scoring functions will work in Pan."

Reply to
Scion